What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rotation speed on takeoff

Dean,
I learned how to take off properly in my 7A from posters right here on VAF.
I was trying to rotate at a certain speed and it wasn't taking off smoothly.

Lift the nosewheel as soon as you can about six inches and hold it there.
When the speed is right the airplane will fly off very smoothly.
This all happens in just a few seconds!

Mark

Mark is correct. This is one point that should not be done "by the numbers". The airplane will fly when it's ready.

As a flight instructor I admit I made a mistake early on teaching students about "rotation speed". As a result, they would stare at the ASI instead of looking out the window. Truth is, airplanes fly when they are ready, providing you place them in the correct attitude. I suspect lift off is at a consistent A/S. However, rotation should begin as soon as you apply power. That is, you should be gradually applying back pressure as speed increases, until the point of lift off. So technically, rotation speed is ZERO.

Sorry to be "teaching" you probably already know this. You probably want to know an exact number for another reason. A good rule of thumb for rotation speed is about 1.1 of stall speed in clean configuration.

The feds say not less than VS1.

SFAR Sec. 23.51 - Takeoff speeds.

(a) For normal, utility, and acrobatic category airplanes, rotation speed, VR, is the speed at which the pilot makes a control input, with the intention of lifting the airplane out of contact with the runway or water surface.

(2) For single-engine landplanes, VR, must not be less than VS1.

Thanks for the responses. I try to keep as much pressure off the nosewheel even when taxiing. I was keeping the nosewheel as light as possible and letting the plane fly off but was curious how others did it and if they used a particular speed.

Dean

Take a quick glance at your ASI then next time you start to lift off. Consider that your Vr. Remember your AS willl be different from someone elses due to installation and instrument error.

Varies with weight

Take a quick glance at your ASI then next time you start to lift off. Consider that your Vr. Remember your AS willl be different from someone elses due to installation and instrument error.
The IAS at the point where lift begins to exceed weight will necessarily increase when the airplane is heavier. And vice-versa. Angle of attack should remain the same.

The IAS at the point where lift begins to exceed weight will necessarily increase when the airplane is heavier. And vice-versa. Angle of attack should remain the same.

Correct, I didn't mean my comment to say otherwise. Rotation is establishing the pitch attitude necessary for a climb. (seem my first reply). My point was, don't use someone else's number as they may have completely different (and inaccurate) A/S indications.

the best way to do it is to lift the nose as soon as you can, how I do this is full back, put in power and as soon as the nose raises I relax the stick and keep it there and wait for the mains to depart. This is great because there are many factors that can change this, weight in the airplane and density altitude or temps. Now sure you can go by speed and such, but chances are you won't be looking where you should, out the window. If you take off with nose off and wait for the airplane, you can now focus all your attentions on looking out the window, plenty to look for.

Not only something to look for out the window, but what happens when you do pull up to fast, you get the ugly take off and that means you look bad to people on the ground, think of the little guy or gale at the sidelines that are watching airplanes, do you want to look bad to them, didn't think so.

Actually I start out with a little "down" elevator. And back to neutral as soon as the tailwheel comes up. Roll with a slightly nose high attitude until the airplane flies off.

the best way to do it is to lift the nose as soon as you can, how I do this is full back, put in power and as soon as the nose raises I relax the stick and keep it there and wait for the mains to depart.

With my "A" model, I start with full back, too, since I taxiied that way. As power goes in, stick goes forward to that right point.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back