What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Questions

330Jock

Well Known Member
Sponsor
3 Questions for you RV 7A experts:
1) Are there ways to get more headroom in a 7A? I'm 6'3" and was wondering.
2) The cold air on the back of the neck problem that is mentioned in numerous slider posts, is that alleviated with the tip up?
3) How do you have less room in the cabin with a nose gear? I thought it was just the opposite!

3 Questions for you RV 7A experts:
1) Are there ways to get more headroom in a 7A? I'm 6'3" and was wondering.
2) The cold air on the back of the neck problem that is mentioned in numerous slider posts, is that alleviated with the tip up?
3) How do you have less room in the cabin with a nose gear? I thought it was just the opposite!

1) slide seat to a more reclined pos
2) Sounds like something good seals could fix for both
3) Main gear legs supports are in the cabin area for trike but on the engine mount for tailwheel.

I own a slider 7A and a tilt up6 so I might be able to help. The six is tighter at the back of the canopy,, no leaking, but does not have the headroom. The 7 does leak air at the back of the canopy but I think I could cure that with a little work. The headroom is much better on the seven,I'm right at six foot. The nose wheel is mounted outside the cabin so does not change interior foot room...

1) slide seat to a more reclined pos...
You can also reduce the size of the cushion. I?ve had passengers up to 6-6 in my -9 (same cabin as a -7) and just removed the bottom wedge. They had plenty of room.

As for the canopy height, the builder can adjust it as needed.

Regarding the A-model?s interference. The weldment for the gear legs bolt to the front of the spar. The back of the pilot?s left calf can touch it, right calf for the passenger. (Mine does touch it and that is one reason I built a tail dragger.)

Good luck figuring out what you want.

PS. The tip-ups leak when flying in the rain.

simple fix for the slider draft

I will post pictures Thursday of a real simple fix for the slider draft.

My Tip up 7A never leaked in the rain whether flying or parked. The gear leg mounts are under your legs so they do not impede length. Good seals in either canopy, plus good fitting, will alleviate air intrusion. Removing the wedge from under the seat will lower your body and provide more head room.

Roberta

Sorry for the delay but I needed to get to the airport for pictures.

The seal I used is made from the top of the line leather look alike vinyl; the type that looks like leather and stays soft in cold weather. I bought mine from one of the large fabric stores.

The pictures pretty well show how it is made. I used double sided carpet tape to attach it to the rear skirt of the canopy. The somewhat higher air pressure outside presses the seal down to the turtle deck forming the seal.

I stole the idea from Bill Majors RV-6 and many sliders have implemented it after seeing mine. Try it, it really works.

SliderSeal1.jpg

SliderSeal2.jpg

SliderSeal3.jpg

V strip

We have a tip up that leaks in the rain when it is parked outside. I havent had time to try it yet but I got some V strip from Aircraft Spruce for a Very Easy and plan to put it on the cowl under the canopy with the point of the V facing the cockpit to catch the water and run it over the side. We built the rest of the canopy with a "skirt" and ribbed door seal all the way around and have no air or water issues in those places.

Back