What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Questions

drferrell

I'm New Here
I'm gathering as much info as possible prior to making a build decision. After much lurking on this site (great resource !) for about a month and seeing and flying a couple 7A's I have a couple questions for the guru's out there:

1. assuming a quality build, 180hp f/i with c/s prop, ifr panel what kind of cruise speeds are you seeing on finished, painted, flying 7A's with all their fairings and pants on at say 6-8k feet, 75% power

2. is it possible during the build to lower the seat pans ... i want 1-2 more inches of head room for my co-pilot and i ... i'm 6'1", co-pilot is 6'3" ... plan to use the thinnest high density foam available and i'm sure that will help but still would like to be able to drop down those extra couple inches.

thanks in advance for the assist

dave
aa5b owner
planning to build 7a

I can't speek to the actual speeds of a 7A, other than to say whatever it is = super fun. Lowering of the seat pan is/would be a big structural change that isn't likely to be encouraged by Vans.

Keeping the seat wedges out will lower you considerably.My hubby is 6 ft and he has plenty of headroom, probably 4-5". We kept the wedges out and have just carpet and 3/4" high density foam under our butts with Van's seat cushions. If you did the same and used the Oregon Aero cushions you would gain at least another inch or more.

Roberta

is it possible during the build to lower the seat pans ... i want 1-2 more inches of head room for my co-pilot and i ... i'm 6'1", co-pilot is 6'3" ... plan to use the thinnest high density foam available and i'm sure that will help but still would like to be able to drop down those extra couple inches.

I don't think lowering the seat is the answer. I have a really tall buddy that was building a RV6 a while back and after a ride in my then RV-6A he discovered that he would need alot more room than he thought. For him to fit in my RV6A we had to remove the bottom and back seat cushions. He fit like a charm then. What he did to fix the problem in his plane (while building) was to move the (can't remember the part name or number) frame that the seat leans back against. I believe he moved it back (aft) a couple inches and that did the trick for him perfectly, he even has both cushions in his plane and fits just fine. I don't know the details behind how he made the change, but I know it was not a big deal at all. I think it just puts him at a more reclined attitude sitting in the plane, but I am sure it is not so aggresive that he feels like he is laying down. I hope this helps!

I believe what you are referring to is seat back brace. I have been flying without it and find it comfortable. None of my passengers, from 5'2" to 6'3" felt uncomfortable neither.

raised the canopy

I am 6'3" and I raised the roll bar (tip up) a inch. That combined with not using the seat back brace and standard Van's seats provide all the clearance I have needed (except for one really turbulant day :))

I am seeing 160kts tas on a regular basis with my bird (200hp and c/s)

Good luck on your project.

I have seen an example where the structural piece that the seat backs lean against is built in a further aft position, not just the little flapper that lets you adjust the seat angle. The one I saw also had some extra shoulder room via removal of part of the longerons on the shoulder area. I was tols that Van's had approved the changes.

A for speeds, I think the practical answer ends up being that Van's published numbers are real, but it really depends on how much fuel you want to burn.

The one I saw also had some extra shoulder room via removal of part of the longerons on the shoulder area. I was tols that Van's had approved the changes.
I would be shocked... stunned in fact... to learn that Van's blessed any modifications to the longerons. I've seen pictures of canopy rail mods, perhaps it was them that were mod'ed not the longerons??? Just my $.02.

BTW... I am 6'3" and I've flown in several RV-7s and 9s now. One of which was piloted by a 6'5"-er. I didn't feel like I had a lot of extra headroom, but I've never felt cramped.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for all the quick input ... being able to get feedback so promptly from this listserv is one of big reasons i'm excited about this project. The consensus is that using high density foam in as small a thickness as possible will get me the extra inch I need. Also there is the possibility of moving the seat back rest an inch or two into the baggage area to get more of an inclined position ... although one of the things I like about the 7 is the upright sitting position.
With some thought I bet it is possible to change the configuration of the top of the stick to angle it more towards the panel as well.
So another 'obstacle' overcome ... now I just have to find the money and time to get moving on this!

Dave
AA5B owner
RV7A dreamer

Also there is the possibility of moving the seat back rest an inch or two into the baggage area to get more of an inclined position ...
The seat back rest you speak of is part of one of the bulkheads. In fact, it is the bulkhead to which the rear wing spars attach. I know of one where it has been done, but I would not perform a mod such as this without some extensive analysis, but that's just me. Good luck!

Back