What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A project

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
I am planning to buy a 2001 empennage kit from someone and would like to know which improvements have been made since then and will I need to buy anything extra to bring the kit up todate?

Last edited:
I am planning to buy a 2004 empennage kit from someone and would like to know which improvements have been made since then and will I need to buy anything extra to bring the kit up todate?

Bob,

This is a case where your best option is to call Vans. They can trace the kit number, determine exactly what you have, and address all your options. You also need to tell them you are the present owner of the kit so they can update their records.

Best wishes for an enjoyable project!

I purchased a 2005 kit and did the same..... Call Vans and get your name on the build kit... They can even email out the original packing list so you can check it all out...

only thing Vans told me is that just before my kit they changed the rudder and put a bigger rudder on...

I think they told me it was around $300ish if I needed it.... Lucky my kit already had this...

Hello Bob,

Great that you considering starting a 7. A new Emp Kit from Van’s might be a smoother entry into the building process for you?

The Emp Kit is not very big so shipping a new one from Van’s would an easy thing. You would be assured of receiving a complete, up to date and undamaged Kit. Might have them throw in a practice kit to get you familiar with their prints and building processes as well. Make all your mistakes on the practice kit before starting the new Emp.

Buying a second hand kit from Minnesota might be false economy by the time you get things sorted out with any damaged or missing parts replaced from the factory anyway? You might talk over the pros/cons with Van’s Tech Support when you call.

Good luck there either way

pk

Hello Bob,

Great that you considering starting a 7. A new Emp Kit from Van?s might be a smoother entry into the building process for you?

The Emp Kit is not very big so shipping a new one from Van?s would an easy thing. You would be assured of receiving a complete, up to date and undamaged Kit. Might have them throw in a practice kit to get you familiar with their prints and building processes as well. Make all your mistakes on the practice kit before starting the new Emp.

Buying a second hand kit from Minnesota might be false economy by the time you get things sorted out with any damaged or missing parts replaced from the factory anyway? You might talk over the pros/cons with Van?s Tech Support when you call.

Good luck there either way

pk

Yes I should of stated that... My kit was untouched and I just ordered the practice kits and I inventoried everything once received.

There was some things missing but I contacted the selling and he quickly posted them out....

Early RV7 emps not all prepunched

Just an FYI I was an early 2001 purchaser of the RV7 emp kit and there were some parts that were not prepunched or drilled that later became prepuched and drilled parts on newer kits. Not a big deal but newer kits go together easier.

Just purchased a empennage kit should get it early next week. Now I have to find a Builder's log software, a hand rivet squeezer and more clecos. Thanks for the support.

Bob

Last edited:
Back