What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A firewall mounted oil cooler

brister

Well Known Member
I am installing a IO-360 200 hp lycoming and bought the stewart warner cooler and the fire wall mount from vans but it didnt come with any drawings. I was hoping some one could help me with drawings or pictures. Please call me at 307-262-8683 or email me.
Thanks in advance for the help

oil cooler question

I recieved a call from someone in colorado about my cooler and was to call him back. if he sees this post i would like him to call me back

IO-360

I am also installing a firewall oil cooler and would like thoughts on position on the pilot side of the airplane. I will install the battery tray etc on the co side so any thoughts without having the engine mount or wait.

Thanks,

BB

Bruce,
I would wait for the engine mount. I installed a large cooler on the pilot side of the firewall of my -6a and it was pretty handy to use an adell clamp on one of the engine mount braces to support the forward edge of the oil cooler.

Also, the oil cooler should be mounted at a 45* angle (or as close as possible) with the oil going in to the cooler from the engine at the bottom port, and the oil line returning to the engine coming out of the top port of the cooler. (this tip came from a friend of mine, and it really seems to make a difference)

This has worked very well with oil temps running around 185* in cruise.

YMMV, just my $0.02.

Just Curious

Hi Bruce,

I gotta ask, why do you want to firewall mount your oil cooler? It may work in Wyoming. There have been several threads on the topic. If I remember, the most successful utilized 4" SCAT tubing. There isn't much real estate back there for 4" SCAT.

I tried it and it didn't work. I was only able to get 3" SCAT tubing routed and it was woefully inadequate. I don't think 4" would have worked in our harsh environment.

Unless there is a major logistic cause to mount it on the firewall, follow the 1000's that have baffle mounted successfully. Proper placement of doublers and supports will give you years of trouble free use.

As someone noted, if you don't have your engine mount don't even bother yet.

Just my thoughts.

When I built my -6...

baffles were not strong enough for oil cooler mounting. Many were tried and many failed. I mounted mine on the starboard side of the firewall with scat tubing running to it. Fifteen years later, it's still there and still working. I'm running a hopped up O-320 (approximately 175 hp) in Texas. Several configurations will work if done properly. However, currently the baffle mount seems to work best.

I recently installed the Niagara 2006A cooler on my RV7. The cooler is too big to install on the baffling. I used adell clamps and some .125 x 3/4 x 3/4 al angle and mounted it at 45 degrees on the engine mount. I installed it on the right side as there was a LOT more room. The left side was a very tight fit (cylinders are closer to firewall and control cables etc...) and there is limited exhaust area. I would send a picture but am out of the country at the moment.

Back