What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A, ECI IOX360 w/cold air induction

johnso29

I've decided on the ECI IOX 360 engine with the cold air induction. After discussing with Larry Vetterman, it appears that the exhaust system for this configuration is the most difficult to fit.

Are any of you using this configuration? Are you using the 7 degree tilt in the sump?

On Vetterman's website, he shows a four pipe system for this configuration but my email from him was not encouraging.

Any thoughts...

Thanks,

Don
RV-7A
Wings, empannage complete

ECI

Don,
look at the pictures on Alex & Bernie´s site from Switzerland.
www.flyvans.com/log/2008_07_07_engineinstall.html

I´m at the same point and would like to know which is the best exhaust system for my RV7, similar engine with Christen oil syst.
Probably it´s better to open a new thread.

Harald
RV-7 / finishing canopy
ECI OX-360 cold sump induction, Silverhawk precision injection
starting with engine installation in "5 minutes"

Last edited:
Vetterman exhaust for RV7A with ECI IOX360/ ECI FI

I've got the combo you describe. It's not that bad but the drain plug in the bottom of the sump (Lycoming type) is in a bad place. I'm considering plugging the threaded hole in the sump and drilling and threading a new one a bit further back on the sump. It amounts to a 3/4" or so change in position of the drain. Still not sure if I'll do it though.

Are you using the ECI cold sump/forward induction setup? Are you flying yet? When reviewing some of the photos of this setup, it appears that the 4-pipe system takes a lot of the space available through the standard cowl exit.
Is this the drawback to using this setup? What is the effect of using the 7 degree tilted induction?

Or is the problem supporting each of the exhaust pipes?

Thanks for your reply.

Don

RE:ECi install....

Hi Don

I have pulled a few pictures that will show how I dealt with the ECi exhaust/ram air install. Basically, Robbie Attaway was my go to guy along with Larry Vetterman. Larry was very upbeat about the 4 exhaust combo and said he is running it on his plane with success and extra power.

Check out Robbie Attaway's web site at:

http://www.attawayair.com/New RV6 QB.htm

Exhaust Pix:

Parts

Exhaust Pipes

Pipes on the plane....not the best pix but will give you the idea.

to be continued..................

RE: ECi install part 2

Exhaust Hangers.....

Aux Air Filter Adapter..Obtained from Attaway Air

Air filter installed.....

to be continued

RE: ECi Install Part 4

Cold Ram Air induction Installed.....before it was cut to size at the inlet!!!

Cowl cut for plenum....

Ram Air Inlet Fab.....Lowes Aero Plumbing reducers....Quick and dirty instead of slow and elegant. Maybe in th future I will revisit this part.

to be continued.....

ECi Install Part 5

Ram Air Inlet Fab continued.......

And Painted.....

THE END...........................

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... BUZZ ...N74BZ... Flying:D

similar setup

I have an almost identical setup with everything the same as yours except one thing. . . My engine has 20 cu. in. less than your engine. I am using the ECI IO-340 with forward facing cold air induction.

I have installed Vetterman's 4 pipe exhaust. No problems with it. It is a straight forward install. Bolts right up as if it were built for it (mainly because it was! :D)

I like Robbie Attaway's setup but I went with Van's snorkel. I have the IO-360 cowl from Van's with a slick bottom (no exposed snout). The snorkel mounts in the pilot side air intake of the baffle. It all took a little different fabrication but it is all fitting nicely.

Here is my setup as well:

No problems so far.

dyq04z.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my setup as well:

No problems so far.

I'm finally fitting the vans snorkel to my eci IOX360 w/ 7 degree cold air option (RV-7A). The reason for the 7 degree tilt is to give the fuel servo more tilt, and allow the builder to use the van's slick cowl without having to modify. ECI's horzontial induction system (Cold Air), uses a little more space vertically, hence the 7degree tilt.

I'm having one issue with the vans snorkel, where it mounts to the fuel servo. The snorkel is designed to mount flush to the fuel servo in relation to the engine. A 7 degree gap is created when using eci's 7 degree cold air. To correct for tilted, I need a 1/4 inch spacer with 7 degrees to correct for angle (custom$$$). Or, I could always hack into the snorkel and change the angle to mount correctly to the fuel servo (more than likely what I will do). Theres not much room to play around. I already cut the mounting tabs off the bottom of the starter to squeeze more room between the cowl. I'm hoping 5/8th inch clearance, but would be happy with 1/2 inch.

I'm hoping ECI will have the spacer/adapter I need, or I'll have to modify the snorkel slightly to fit, and patch with cloth and resin.
file.php

Last edited:
Vetterman Exhaust ECI IOX360

I have Larry's 4 pipe system with the ECI engine and slick cowl. No problems installing. Just use the instructions in the ECI installation manual and the instructions Larry sends with the exhaust. Only thing you need to be careful on is the clearance between the pipe supports and the lower cowl. By the way, you need the 7 degree inlet to match up with the snorkel.

I'm finally fitting the vans snorkel to my eci IOX360 w/ 7 degree cold air option (RV-7A). The reason for the 7 degree tilt is to give the fuel servo more tilt, and allow the builder to use the van's slick cowl without having to modify. ECI's horzontial induction system (Cold Air), uses a little more space vertically, hence the 7degree tilt.

I'm having one issue with the vans snorkel, where it mounts to the fuel servo. The snorkel is designed to mount flush to the fuel servo in relation to the engine. A 7 degree gap is created when using eci's 7 degree cold air. To correct for tilted, I need a 1/4 inch spacer with 7 degrees to correct for angle (custom$$$). Or, I could always hack into the snorkel and change the angle to mount correctly to the fuel servo (more than likely what I will do). Theres not much room to play around. I already cut the mounting tabs off the bottom of the starter to squeeze more room between the cowl. I'm hoping 5/8th inch clearance, but would be happy with 1/2 inch.

I'm hoping ECI will have the spacer/adapter I need, or I'll have to modify the snorkel slightly to fit, and patch with cloth and resin.
file.php
Chris,
I am not exactly sure from your description exactly where this spacer/adapter is that you are discussing. Are you talking about the gap between the air intake on the "throttle body" of the injection system that is mounted on the engine and the end of the snorkel? Have you had discussions with ECI about any of this? I suggest you call ECI and ask to talk with Bobby Looper. He is instrumental in working with these types of setups. He will be able to help you out. Also, ECI has a kit for the Van's snorkel connection to their forward facing sump. I purchased this kit for my plane that has the IO-340 with the ECI forward facing cold air induction. Everything fit perfectly. On my installation I have a short piece of SCAT/SCEET tubing (I cannot remember exactly which type it was but it was the stiffer tubing) that ECI supplied for connecting the snorkel to the air intake. This tubing allowed for small deviations of alignment for the snorkel.

If any of this is what you are referring to in your post ECI should be able to help you with this. If I am totally off base on what you are asking about my apologies for going off on a tangent.

I am flying with this setup.

No problems with pipes and using Sam James Cowl
which had a great setup on the snorkel.

I had to cut the lower cowl opening and extend 2.5 inches
lower to help out my heating issues.

Works great now and run 185F most of the time.
Picks on my website.

Larry's pipes are good to go with no problems with install.
Very simple.

Back