What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A, 3 questions

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
1. What is the ( AA6-125x1x1 ) material type that the aileron control stop is made of? I think It may be missing in my kit. Is it a channel? The print side view looks like it might be. It appears to be shaped somehow.
2. I have a Quickbuild. The aielrons are completed at the factory. When preparing to attach the inboard aileron bracket, the print shows the center AN3 bolt to go into a K1000-3 platenut. I can't see how I can attach the platenut. I am wondering if it was forgotten at the factory when building the ailerons. With the end enclosed already, the opening is only the size of a dime....how to buck if neccessary or can you just use a nut on this like the other two...What to do?
3. I have the flap braces and the aileron gap seals installed to the rear spar. Is it OK to go ahead and rivet the respective skin all the way into these two pieces now? The plans had only said rivet to the rear spar. I can't see why I should wait here.....any suggestions on proceeding?

thanks

can answer 1 question

I believe AA6-125x1x1 is a 90* "L" angle piece.

125 = 0.125" (1/8") thick
1 x 1 = 1" by 1" on the L shaped angle.

Can't help you out on the other two questions.

Hope that helps.

-Jim

Mike, the "decoding" that Jim did for you is spelled out in the front of Van's manual. It will help you to find various materials later on. And even though it calls out for an angle, you'll end up removing most of one of the angle legs. There's just a little piece that the steel part bumps up against. You may want to wait until after the wings are on the plane and you're doing the final rigging before you attach these stops. With the flaps off, these are easy to access, and you can be sure you're getting the full range of aileron movement.

Regarding your other questions, I'll give it a whack. I believe the middle bolt on the aileron QB's can be attached with a nut rather than the nutplate. I've only worked on one of the QB's, but I seem to remember that the access hole was just big enough to fit a wrench. See if you can fit an open-end wrench in there...if so, don't worry about the nutplate. It's not like those brackets come on and off all the time.

Your aileron seals can be riveted to the upper skin at this time. Again, as I recall, there's no reason to wait on this. But the flap brace is different. The flap piano hinge needs to be attached with the same rivets that hold the bottom skin and the flap brace.

Hope that answers your questions.

Back