What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A 0-320, cowl question

RV7AAAAAAA

Hi Has anyone else out there installed an 0320/F.P. Sensenich in an RV7/7A like I am? If so what cowl did Van's send you? When I ordered my finishing kit I received a letter from Van's that I had to read and sign before they would ship my order. This was the 'non standard' form letter that used words like "rare instance" and "not regularly stocked" and "non-conforming". At first I thought they had me confused with an auto engine guy.
I called Van's and they explained that was just a form letter, but the motor mount and cowl will be for an RV 9. The RV 9 mount is 2" longer to help aft CG problems (that's good I was worried abount that).
But now that I've received my finish kit my cowl is part # 90235 (RV 9 0235 engine!) I called Van's but I was advised the cowl experts were on their way to Oshkosh. I was also told not to worry because they would not send me something that would not work. My gut feeling is everything is fine but curious why I did not receive the 0320 RV 9 cowl!
Any other 'non-conforming' builders out there???
Jim Kirks

Cowl

RV7AAAAAAA said:
Hi Has anyone else out there installed an 0320/F.P. Sensenich in an RV7/7A like I am? If so what cowl did Van's send you? When I ordered my finishing kit I received a letter from Van's that I had to read and sign before they would ship my order. This was the 'non standard' form letter that used words like "rare instance" and "not regularly stocked" and "non-conforming". At first I thought they had me confused with an auto engine guy.
I called Van's and they explained that was just a form letter, but the motor mount and cowl will be for an RV 9. The RV 9 mount is 2" longer to help aft CG problems (that's good I was worried abount that).
But now that I've received my finish kit my cowl is part # 90235 (RV 9 0235 engine!) I called Van's but I was advised the cowl experts were on their way to Oshkosh. I was also told not to worry because they would not send me something that would not work. My gut feeling is everything is fine but curious why I did not receive the 0320 RV 9 cowl!
Jim Kirks

Yes... you have the correct cowl. With the O-320, in the RV7 the motor mount is also 2 1/2 inches longer. You don't have to use this set-up, the O360 mount and cowl will work but CG issues will be a problem unless you are installing a C/S prop.

Last edited:
Correct

RV7AAAAAAA said:
Jim Kirks

I haven't installed mine yet but also received the same cowl for use with the O-320 and FP prop. Same letter as well with same explanation from Van's as most 7 builders seem to opt for more than 160 HP.

Mine was listed on the paperwork as :- Cowl, 9/9A Bottom O-235 x1 (and same for top cowl) But the finish kit arrived nearly 2 years ago :rolleyes: so wording has probably been changed to a part #

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I had a feeling everything was AOK but still feels good to hear it from others.
I guess back in the RV-6 days when 0320's were more common they just added weight to the tail when installing an 0360 c/s prop. I get the feeling there is not to many of us 0320 RV-7 guys. But Vans has it figured out pretty good.
I have been trying to build light and it just bothered me to think after drilling out lightning holes where I could to save ounces, I would have to install heavy things like prestolite starter, heavy battery, heavy altenator, prop spacer to keep my CG in check

Thanks again It all makes sense now
Jim Kirks

If you are considering the O-320, there is some more information which you may find helpful.

1. The forward engine mount really opens up access behind the engine.

2. The forward mount allows you to use the Whirlwind 151 extend hub prop (no additional charge) to install the Sam James Cowl. Ordinarily you would need to extend a hartzell or use a very expensive Aerocomposite ($10,500). This is a really nice looking plane.

3. I have spent a ton of time online with other RV-7 O-320 folks, and the engine seems to be a great match for the airframe, within a few knots in cruise, and no real penalty in climb with a C/S prop.

Its my hope that the Same James cowl will help me get back some of the cruis speed. In addition, I have many hours behind an O-320 in my Citabria, and the shorter stroke makes it an extremely smooth engine.

Finally weight, the new O-320's start with an O-360 casing and so do not save much weight. However, the earlier ones, like off a twin commanche, (A3B) for example, are available used, cheap, and are closer to like 30 lbs lighter than their O-360 cousins.

When it flies and gets weighed, I will let you know.

This is good info - I have been planning on using an O-320 in my -7. First plane, I figure I should start at the bottom - anything will be exciting, even the "entry level" options.

Back