What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 wings install: should there be bolts here?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi guys.

We're doing the final assembly these days and came across something when installing the wings yesterday:

We couldn't find if there where going bolts into these holes or not?

The holes (two on each side) is forward of the main wing spar, just opposite (fwd) of the bolts mentioned in Vans SB regarding the missing wingbolts.

They are beetween the upper and lower close tolerance wing bolts.

Instead of removing the panels etc and check how it is on my flying -7, I ofcourse put up a post here on VAF. Much simpler! :)

Here are the two empty holes in question:

My gut tells me there scould be no empty boltholes in an airplane, but maybe these have something to do with the NW? (Mine is a taildragger)

Thanks.

Yes

oi5s.png

Yes, there should be bolts there. The nut plate are on the wing spar IIRC.

After taking a second look, the image from my previous post is from the aft side. So it doesn't look like it in the plans.

Many people have left those bolts out prompting a service letter from Van's. Take a look at Van's website > Support > Service Information. SB12-08-14 is the first one of several you should check.

Oops, did not read through all the way.

Last edited:
You know you are hard at work when you get blood on your freshly painted airplane and don't bother to wipe it off.

Olav
There are no bolts that go through those holes. The service bulletin referenced above is for the 4 bolts on drawing 11 that shows an4-13a bolt through a an960-416 washer, f-70d, f704b, f-706c spar doubler, w-706a spar web into a k1000-4 plate nut. These bolts come in from the aft side.
Hope this helps.

Thanks...

.. for the replies guys. Guess the holes schould be empty then.

As I stated in my orginal post, Vans SB regarding the missing wingbolts is done, as seen in this pic:

These bolts are on the AFT side of the wingspar.
The holes in question is on the FORWARD side of the spar.

Regarding torque-seal: I prefer lines made with a markerpen over torq seals.
I have found torq seals which have slipped their position on a bolt, but the seal itself are intact.
That'll never happen with a markerpen-line.

Reason for the torq seals on the bolts on the pic, is a reminder to self: these bolts have been installed with all the hardward and torqued to spec.
That makes it easy to spot bolts and nuts which are NOT yet installed for the last time.

Sid: you've a great eye! :D
A patch of Bandaid took care of the bleeding a little later.... ;)

Anyway; guess we'll leave the holes empty and go on....

Last edited:
Check the F704G

Wouldn't hurt to make certain that the F-704G spacer blocks are in place between the rear center section web and the wing spar webs. It is pretty likely that they are if the builder remembered to put in the bolts, but I would still check. Looking again, I see the bucked end of the rivets in place that hold them, so it appears that they are in there.

Good idea.

The blocks are in place. I checked them when doing the SB bulletin.

These are QB-wings by the way, so if the blocks where not there, then I'd be rather dissaponited.
Both the QB fuse and wings are of top quality so I'm very happy with the QB-decition I made back in 2005...

Anyway: I also checked with Gus at Van yesterday regarding the empty holes on the forward side of the spar, and here is his reply:

Those holes get nothing - they're only there because the 704C&D parts have
the same punched holes, but the bolts are only in the aft part of the
bulkhead.

Gus

So that was a relief, so we're building on... :)

Back