What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 vs C172 interior

wintaki

hi all. I am very early in thinking I want to build a rv-7 and am thinking how well I will fit. I know the best thing is to find a 7 and try it myself but I do not know any local builders. I am approx 5' 10" and weigh in at a good 270 (i know, i am working on it!). I currently fly a C172 and while it certainly could be roomier I can fit in fine and have no problems flying. My question is how does the 7 interior compare to that of a C172? I suppose I am mostly concerned about the width, don't think I will have a problem height wise.

thanks for any comments

I guess it can be made into a one seater for a bit for room, with some redesigning of course.

One thing I am concerned about is the simple act of getting in and out of the RVs. With production aircraft, you have doors so you can slip right in from the sides. With the RVs (well, maybe not the 10 and I don't remember about the 12), you have to step over and in and support your weight with your arms to slide down in. With my aging and increasing arthritic bones, I fear that will become more and more difficult over time. At least I am 6' and 160 pounds (well, maybe I have eaten at Windy's a little too much and might be pushing 165).

I guess it can be made into a one seater for a bit for room, with some redesigning of course.

lol i am not that big! I fit comfortably in a C172 with a "normal" sized person in the right seat. I'm just wondering in practice if the -7 cockpit is more cramped or comparable to a C172 (forgetting about the back seats of course).

thanks for any info.

If I remember correctly... a C172 is 39.5" at the hips and the side-by-side RV's are 43". I am similar in size to you and have ridden in an RV9. It was a little tight, but certainly doable.

I ended up choosing an 8. It is about 29" wide for each person. Plus, you can use more easily use the side rails to push yourself up using both arms. It is a little more difficult to push up in a side-by-side model.

Of course, the best thing to do is find someone to let you sit (or better yet, take you for a ride) in their RV.

Good luck.

Weight limits

I recall reading somewhere that Van's limits passengers in their planes to 250 pounds

The measurements can fool you.

I keep telling my wife that our RV9A is wider then our C172, but she keeps saying that the Cessna is just more roomie. As noted the Cessna has a more upright entry and seating position. In the RV you are more folded like in a sports car. Think of driving a Miata. It is easy to get in and out of the RV after you get the hang of it. You do need to have some strength in you arms and legs to push your self up.

My mother would love to get a ride in my RV, but although I think I could get her in, I am not sure that I could get her back out. At 83 she just does not have the strength to push herself up.

I have flown with myself 240 lbs and a friend at 300 lbs. It was very tight and the plane didn't perform nearly as well.

The other reason that my wife likes the C172 better is she wants to ride in the back.

Kent

I keep telling my wife that our RV9A is wider then our C172, but she keeps saying that the Cessna is just more roomie. As noted the Cessna has a more upright entry and seating position.
I've gone through the issue of cockpit space and ease of entry at great length for family reasons and compared a lot of airplanes.

The 182 and, to a lesser degree, the 172 (a few inches narrower), are about the easiest airplanes to get in and out of. One to two steps and you're in, and there are good, obvious, sturdy places to step and hold. No wing to step up onto and over, no fueslage side to then step or crawl over. The cabin is square and uncluttered by consoles. The seats also adjust in fore/aft, height and rake and can slide way out of the way for getting in. Compare that to, say, the DA40, which is 4" wider, but has molded seats and a huge console in the center, and then there's the issue of the stick - some people who won't fit in the DA40 fit in the 182. However, the DA40 is surely safer in a crash because of the energy absorbing nature of the seats. But because of the fit issue, the DA40 went off my list.

None of this is to say that the -6/7/9 and -8 are hard to get in and out of per se, but for some anyway, they're harder than the Cessna. Also, despite being more narrow, the Cessnas have a surpriring amount of room because of the square cabin.

I can't say that the 182 is a fun to fly airplane, nor is the visibility great, but being to travel together as a family is a wonderful thing. I keep thinking that I need two airplanes, a -3 (for fun) and a 182 (for traveling).

TODR

Last edited:
The RV is more cramped than the 172. A couple things you have to remember, the step can only take so much weight if you are going to use one. The stick, I found, is confining, even with me, I'm 5'8 and 170 and I have the seat back in the center possision. Seams the all the way back on the stick is pretty tight to my mid section, but very doable, I can't even think if I had a bigger mid area what it would take for full stick back. I would definately try and find someone that will let you sit in one first. Not to get on this subject, but will you have a passenger and what is the room need for that person.

thanks for all the comments. I'm not too worried about being able to climb in and out, I'm relatively "mobile" despite my size. mainly concerned about the stick clearance and width. would mostly be flying with my wife, or brother or father, all of whom are in great shape (marathon runners believe it or not. sometimes I think I must be adopted)...

Back