What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Trim Servo Stiffener / Access Plate Question

mackd

Today, I dimpled the screw holes in my trim servo stiffener and access plate for the left rudder. I used the #6 screw dimple dies that came with my Avery kit in my pneumatic squeezer. When I try to fit the access plate over the stiffener, however, it won't sit flush in the vicinity of the screw holes and I end up with a small gap. It looks to me like the dimple in the stiffener isn't deep enough to accept the dimple on the access plate.

I'm pretty sure I have the squeezer set properly and I don't see how I could get the hole dimpled any more. Has anyone else seen this and have a suggestion?

Thanks.

rv1.jpg

rv2.jpg

rv5.jpg

You can run your microstop countersink over the already-dimpled sub structure to "set" the dimple a wee bit more.

Jekyll

Check with Elevator Skin

David,

See if you can cleco it to the skin and then check it. It will pull down when you put the platenuts on. Hope this helps.

It will likely be much tighter when you screw the plate down. They do make specialty structural dimple dies that you would use for the sub structure that dimple slighter deeper, but that's getting a bit anal (and yet more $$). Or you can slightly countersink further with a deburring tool. Personally, I've seen this same issue, but when things are fastened, it always has been satisfactory. Move on!

Thanks for the responses. I clecoed the whole thing together on the skin and it doesn't look bad. I won't worry about it at this point--I can always do the slight countersink thing later if I feel it's necessary.

Back