What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 throttle and mixture cable kit

Karee Brinlee

Hey Group,
Van's has these for 95.00 as a set with Prop also but my plane is fixed pitch.
I was thinking about setting it up with prop gov adjustment inop in case I ever sell and someone wants to do a different prop.

Anyway,
Thoughts on that?

Also,
Are most of the 7 builders buying the Van's set up or is there a better way to go.
95 bucks sounds cheap to me.
Karee

If you don't have the engine on yet it would certainly be easier to drill the hole in the firewall now. Likewise with drilling the hole in the face plate that hangs under the panel. That doesn't mean that you have to actually install a cable now. If I was going that way I would just plug the holes so that they become provisions for a future installation

If the engine is already on and the panel is already put together I wouldn't bother. It's not going to be any easier for you to do it now than for somebody else to do it later.

If you definitely want the cable, I have a new one one in the shop that I didn't use because it was too short for my IO390 with the fwd governor. If you're interested I can measure and confirm it's the right length for you.

edit-I see that you're talking about buying the throttle and mixture cables as well. I think I also have a new throttle cable. Let me take a look

Last edited:
Terry,
I have the engine on and the previous builder had put mixture and throttle cables on it but I do not like them. Probably came of an old plane lol... they were temporary just to get the engine FFD done and tested.
Anyway, there is a hole in the firewall where they come through and both cables go through same hole. In addition, he did not use any plastic inserts in the hole to keep the cables from rubbing the aluminum which is sharp and with vibration will cut through the cables.
What do you guys use?

Karee

If you don't have the engine on yet it would certainly be easier to drill the hole in the firewall now. Likewise with drilling the hole in the face plate that hangs under the panel. That doesn't mean that you have to actually install a cable now. If I was going that way I would just plug the holes so that they become provisions for a future installation

If the engine is already on and the panel is already put together I wouldn't bother. It's not going to be any easier for you to do it now than for somebody else to do it later.

If you definitely want the cable, I have a new one one in the shop that I didn't use because it was too short for my IO390 with the fwd governor. If you're interested I can measure and confirm it's the right length for you.

edit-I see that you're talking about buying the throttle and mixture cables as well. I think I also have a new throttle cable. Let me take a look

Vans has you use a plastic snap bushing and glob a bunch of RVT on it. That seems kinda shade tree to me, so I used the aluminum eyeballs from doubletree products.

Since they're aluminum, they aren't as fireproof as the steel ones, but they are a big hunk of aluminum and I figure other stuff will melt first

The aluminum ones just require one big hole. The steel ones are a bit more work because the mounting flange has several rivet holes around the perimeter.

You can get ones with more than one hole if you want to send two cables through the same passthrough

Oh- I just noticed in your original post- What you're looking at in the store for $95 is just the throttle cable, not all 3

mixture and throttle

Hi Terry,
You are right.. just the throttle cable. I need both. I am interested in yours.
Let me know please.
Karee

Oh- I just noticed in your original post- What you're looking at in the store for $95 is just the throttle cable, not all 3

Back