What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 tank inboard tank rib

RV7 tank inboard tank rib.....The 3/16 dia. tooling hole near the spar end is just under the access ring/ gasket. Seems too close for comfort. The ring can not be repositioned because of the raised boss.
How have others assured a no leak seal?

Thanks
Ed

I have the same problem on my first inboard rib since my alignment with the stiffener ring is off slightly. I figured out how to fix this on the second tank. I was thinking about rebuilding the inboard rib assembly. A large rivet can't be used to fill the hole. What I decided to do was make a very small backup plate that I riveted on with two AN3 rivets. Iput fuel tank sealant on the plate before riveting it on. I plan on using sealant and no gasket but I'll add another glob on the outside where the tooling hole is located.

Ed,

I just covered mine up with the stiffener ring. I think the instructions say you don't have to seal the ring to the rib, but I did anyway. My ring covered the hole completely, but if it's only a small gap the sealant will take care of it. The gaps in the corners will be way bigger than that...
DSCN3595.JPG

Thanks ....

Ray, Miles,
Thank you for taking time to assist. I will be doing mine the same way.
No one on the forums has noted leaks at this location before. I'll keep moving forward.

Ed

Back