What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 sliding canopy seal

RonB

Good afternoon gents

After years of trying to come up with a fast, easy and inexpensive way of sealing my RV7A sliding canopy it occured to me that animals are kept warm by their fur so I visited my local upholstery shop and was given a piece of sheep skin with roughly 1" long fur.

I cut a couple of pieces 1" wide and 24" long and using double sided tape installed them on the outside of the canopy rails with the fur being horizontal.

I flew this morning in 16 degrees F weather and the new seals made a big difference. Everything is tight. No leakage at all..

With the canopy open you do see the seals but they disappear when the canopy is closed after trimmig the fur with a pair of scissors. Very simple.

My intent is to remove the seals in the spring and summer and install for winter flying....Have fun.

RoB

RV7 canopy seal

I do have photos but after an hour of trying to figure out how to put them on the net I've failed. I can build airplanes, fly airplanes (close to 50 years) but I'll be damned if I can ge the photos on this site.

Send me your e mail address and I will send the photos.....

RonB

Back