What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Slider Canopy

cwreeves

Any RV-7 slider canopy builders experience significant binding/chaffing of the fwd top skin and the rollbar gussets? If so, did you leave alone or remove materail from the gusset?
Charlie, Tucson, AZ

No

Hi Charlie,
Ours had the skin bending kinda sharply over the gusset but it will go on. Don't worry about it because the windshield fairing fiberglass will cover all that anyway. I wouldn't remove any metal from the gusset.

Regards,

Thanks Pierre, I'm worried about the stress point causing cracks in the future. This is probably not a problem, however as a military trained mechanic and inspector I'm always concerned with this type occurance. I'm sure we're not the only fellows incountering the issue.
Charlie

Same is true on my -9. I just fit that skin and rollbar a couple weeks ago. A tech counselor suggested easing the edge of the fwd skin slightly where it meets the rollbar. Alternatively, you could put a little piece of that UMCW (?) friction tape to keep the skin from chafing more on the rollbar. I'd be interested in other thoughts.

I contacted Van's they initially told me not to worry, however I was told I could file material from the gusset and it wouldn't hurt a thing. I'm planning on using a jewellers round file to take off several thousands.
Charlie

My fwd top skin rubs on the weldment and so does another 9A builder I know. We discussed using a piece of UHMW tape, but haven't actually done it. Filing the gusset sounds interesting. Has anybody tried it?

Last edited:
I used a file to take off material as Van's suggested and rounded the edge making a nice smooth radius and it took out the kink. If you look closely where the skin contacts the gusset you'll notice it's just a small portion of the top edge. The round file was used to remove steel at the contact point then I fethered it down and around the radius of the gusset. I doesn't degrade the structural integrity. You'll just need to touch it up with paint. I'm happy with the rsults.
Charlie, Tucson, AZ

Back