What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Seat Cover Patterns

Triumph1974

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

If this cold weather keeps up, I may have to start working on my foam seats inside.....does anyone have advice on obtaining cover patterns? I was not planning on going with the vans foam kit that contains a pattern, and have seen in some post that some folks didn't have great results with the vans patterns either.

Any advice on making or obtaining seat cover patterns would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Paul

seat patterns

Hi Paul
I make my own seat patterns. I get a large 25 x 30 pad (at Staples) and trace all the pieces. Add your seam allowance. The front of the cushions will require 3 pieces due to the contour of the cushion. It helps to mark reference points on the pattern and cushions to line up the pieces when sewing(for example-top center, side center) I would suggest basting first (if you are using cloth) to make sure it fits before final sewing. You could also get some muslin and make a test cover first. There was an excellent series in kitplanes June 2010 about doing the covers yourself.
http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/27_6/builder_spotlight/Cover_Story_Aircraft_Seat_Cover_9237-1.phtml

Last edited:
Back