What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 rudder trim

jmurph

I'm New Here
I need to install a trim tab on my rudder. My left leg gets a little tired in cruise. Has anyone have some pictures they would like to share. Thanks

avery tools

I made one from foam like this one listed at avery tools, I made it the same dimensions as shown except longer. duck tape it to the rudder fly the plane if it to much cut some off, if not enough make it longer. when its just right, glass it over then glue it to the rudder.http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=9883

Or if you dont like that, make a bendy tab from aluminum and pop rivit it to the trailing edge of the rudder. That is how they do it on the columbia 400.

Last edited:
Which leg?

...... My left leg gets a little tired in cruise..... Thanks

Strange...most -10's need right rudder input since the fin doesn't have any offset.

I set my tablesaw at 10º and ripped a 1 1/2" wide piece of oak, 8" long and duct-taped it to the left side of the rudder and went flying. It was a little too much, so I cut off an inch...perfect.

Best,

Strange...most -10's need right rudder input since the fin doesn't have any offset.

It could simply be that the original poster's vertical stab is offset too much. Getting the correct offset in the stab while keeping it vertical can be tricky.

I would recommend removing your wheel pants and gear leg fairings and go flying. If the ball is centered, your fairings are not aligned properly. It would take quite a bit of misalignment in the fairings to cause an issue, but it is possible and I personally have seen it happen on a friend's RV.

Search on rudder trim tab

It is not without controversy but if you do a search on rudder trim tab you will find a lot of threads dealing with installing a trim tab.

Bob Axsom

Back