What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Rudder Trim

Turbowind

I spent a lot of time and effort to get my aircraft rigging correct. After the first few flights I realized that a rudder trim tab would be needed so I installed a tab and rigged the airplane. The ball was dead centered at 65% power at 7,500ft....I took a trip to Montana at a cruise altitude 10,500 ft and I needed to rest my foot on the right rudder to keep the ball centered. I soon realized that a fixed rudder trim tab was a compromise. All the different power settings and different altitudes required a different trim setting, and so I did a search on this website. I came up with a tread and web adress of MS Skunkworks and ordered his rudder trim. The installation only took about 45 min. and I am very pleased a how well it works. Just a quarter of a turn is all it takes to keep the ball centered. As well the autopilot performance seems to be smoother and I think I picked up 10 Knots !!! LOL :D well maybe not 10knots, but .........

Web address?

Could you be more specific on the web address. I could not find MS Skunkworks.

I'm using the Avery wedge trim tab now but if there's a better solution I'd like to check it out.

Rudder Trim

I thought that 10 knot comment would draw a few comments...Did I mention I run lean of peak.....:eek:

Max trim force?

Can this trim system exert enough force to trim out the rudder in a climb? (Vy climb? Cruise climb?)

Rudder Trim

I do not think it would have sufficient pressure as mine is setup up. The rather light springs could be replaced with stronger ones, however that might increase your over all rudder pressure requirements....Contact the Skunkworks as they may have a better idea. :)

For the -8?

The web site says they are working on a system for the floor mounted rudder pedals, like in the -8. that will be nice. I hope my parking brake valve isn't in the way....

Back