What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Quick build Flap Rod End Bearing puzzle

Rob Rickards

Need help here please. The QB Flaps have the nut plate installed to receive the CM-4MS rod end bearing. The flap is complete so the bottom skin is on.
No way I can insert the CM- 4MS (90 degree) rod end bearing as the skin extension sits just below the hole.. Cant find any guidance on the plans or in VAF or other searches.
Every other puzzle, and they have been many. I have found an answer on this wonderful VAF

Got a picture?
If you mean the bottom skin of the flap that is correct since the rod end points up toward the top of the flap not the bottom. The flap skin will lay against the bottom of your fuselage
Smilin' Jack

In order for there to be an interference between the bearing and lower skin, something is wrong geometrically.

Picture during construction

Alternatively, are you saying that because of the skin extensions you cannot get a wrench on it to tighten it into the nutplate? If so, use a crowfoot wrench, extension and ratchet handle.

**EDIT** Link fixed. Don't know how typos got into a cut and pasted URL. I used a link because the original image is huge (and still is) and I was too lazy to resize, repost to my site and relink here. Thanks Pat.

Last edited:
Rob, you should be able to screw the rod end into the nut plate using a thin box wrench between the rod end and the hole/nutplate. Once the rod end is in place, it should just clear the bottom skin extension. It sounds like you are saying that there is not enough clearance between the hole/nutplate and the bottom skin. If that's the case, you may have to re-make the bracket with proper clearance for the hole and nutplate. On my -6, the part is labeled FL-606. Looks like you can drill out the rivets and make a new part if necessary. Hope not. :)

I couldn't get Bill's link to work, but I think this is the picture he is referring to. Should give you a good idea of how this should work:

Last edited:
I knew I was being really Dumb

I knew I was being really Dumb. The penny dropped just before I posted a picture and then I saw Pat's pic.
Thanks so much to all for replying. Can I delete a post? Red face here.

No way you can delete a post. You are not part of the fraternity until you have posted at least one that you wish you had back.

Let me guess...you were trying to screw the vertical threaded portion into the horizontal hole in the end plate of the flap? Just don't ask me how I figured that out.

Yup

Hahaha. Now I don't feel so bad thanks for sharing I was hoping I would not be alone. Lesson learnt ------leave it --------go away for a while ------do something else.

Oh no this post put it at the top again! Ok no more posts please let it die!

Last edited:
Back