What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Question

JPalese

Well Known Member
1) I have heard that the -7 has a wider cockpit than the -6 but have not been able to find anything other than identical dimensions between the 2 aircraft per Van's web site. What is the real deal?

2) Is there anyone that has a -7 anywhere near KHXF that would allow me to fly their plane - I want to see how the tail wheel model compares to the 6A and how the -7 handles compared to other tail wheel aircraft I have flown. I am a current pilot with about 17K hours and ~300 hours of tail wheel time, most of that in Citabrias, Decathlons, and J3s.

Thanks!
John

The RV-6,6A,7,7A,9,9A all have the same width cockpit.

Leg room and head room has been expanded in the 7,7A,9,9A,
but the width hasn't changed from the original RV-6.

The RV taildraggers are all very honest airplanes. If you are current in a Citabria, you should have no trouble with an RV, given a reasonable check-out.

Last edited:
Are we ..... er....... stout ?

In which case, perhaps the 8 would be more to your taste.

Having flown SBS and tandem, when I fly, I always consider that the SBS favours people who are perhaps more comfortable in one another's company.

That's about as PC as I can get from our neck of the woods :rolleyes:

Took 3 re writes to get to this,

Bottom line - no pun,

I like tandem - with mirrors, plenty of chat, less space invasion, better handling from a right stick, left throttle basis ( sinister people exempted - like my wife, creatives....! )

Other than that, the 7 offers access to the sandwiches and Thermos?

Are we ..... er....... stout ?

In which case, perhaps the 8 would be more to your taste.

Having flown SBS and tandem, when I fly, I always consider that the SBS favours people who are perhaps more comfortable in one another's company.

That's about as PC as I can get from our neck of the woods :rolleyes:

Took 3 re writes to get to this,

Bottom line - no pun,

I like tandem - with mirrors, plenty of chat, less space invasion, better handling from a right stick, left throttle basis ( sinister people exempted - like my wife, creatives....! )

Other than that, the 7 offers access to the sandwiches and Thermos?

So what your saying, is that if you're of the larger variety, the 7 offers snuggling opportunities, which your buddies may ;) or may not :eek: enjoy?

Broad shouldered.

My wife and I fit ok in a 6. But it is a bit cramped for friends.

The wife prefers to ride side-by-side, but saying that she does just fine in the decathlon. Never having flown a -8, the -8 back seat seems a bit cave like compared to the Super D.

Back