What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Q built time

pilot7

Well guys and gals, I am back after a few years. Started a slow build years ago and did not finish. Two kids in college and money was too tight. Daughter now married and time has come to build again.
I have purchased a complete QB 7. Emp done, wings closed, fuselage started. I estimate about 100 hours into the fuselage.
In real life, how long to complete? Van's numbers seem a little low to me. About 600. I will be ok in the building process until it comes to the avionics/electrical stuff. I plan to hire that out. Firewall forward no problem, have plenty of help for that also.
I am estimating 800 hours to go.
Thought someone with QB experience could give me a better idea. I am wanting to plan it as a 28 month project and trying to decide how many hours per week to work.
Wife has projects that she wants done, imagine that!
Take care,
Doug

I did a complete QB in 18 months (1300 hours). That included painting, interior, and panel. Most of the work is in the fuselage and fiberglass. The wiring, FWF, prop and engine, baffles, as well as the canopy and cowl are time consuming to get them right. The wings and emp are probably only about 200-250 hours on a QB. Painting and fiberglass prep is about 250-300 hours. I would think the balance to be about 800 hours. That will not include planning, though. I only counted actual shop hours. Time spent designing my panel and paint scheme, ordering parts, building a spray booth, cleaning up after myself (my hubby did a lot of that for me), sitting in the unfinished plane making airplane noises (we both did that), planning the electrical system, and chasing for items were not included in my time log. My hubby, Rich, spent about 1/3 of the build time helping me when rivets needed bucking or a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hand was needed. We both work full time, but are now empty nesters.

Looks like your estimate should be close. If you can devote 20 hours of good building time each week (and get a helper for less than half the time), you'll be flying in 2 years.

Roberta

Last edited:
build time

Roberta,
Thanks for the timeline. I think I better count on 1000 hours or so. At 20 hours a week should be no problem.
I have a hanger but plan to do most work at my heated and cooled garage at home until its time to put the wings on. Will be nice to just go out the door and start work.
I can do without 20hours of tv per week.
Doug

My first flight on my 7A slowbuild was at 1635 without fairings and paint.
I'm around 1700 now with fairings, still no paint.
Van's estimates the QB saves you about 400 hrs. Looking at Roberta's numbers of 1300 complete is definately about right. Some say the paint prep can be 100-200 hours.

Keep at it.

Well count me in for about 1100 hours on my QB 7A - maybe about 1125 now that I just got my gear fairings and wheel pants on. The build went a little quicker than expected, even with the addition of a new pilot, baby (now toddler) Heather along the way.

Paint prep is definitely gonna add a lot to my total. I still have some glass work to do on the wheel pants and fairings, then seal, fill and prime all the glass parts.

Best of luck! It can be done if you have the patience.

For the last few quick builts that I have done the time came in between 1300 to 1500 hours depending on the complexity of the avionics stack. The fiberglass work will always add more hours than you would think.

Back