What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Partial QB choice?

Rainmaker

Given time and building space I am thinking that I would order either the wing or the fuse as a QB and slow build the other. Originally I considered it a no brainer that I would get the QB wing. However, I heard from a woman at Van's that most builders that do a partial QB order the QB fuse. So which would you opt for and why?

Rainmaker said:
So which would you opt for and why?
Wing is pretty much two identical parts with plenty of similar job. I just ordered slow build wing because I don't have currently space for the fuselage building and I don't wish to keep a brake between empennage and the rest. I'm still considering QB fuselage.

But if there would be no any other reasons than one has to be QB, I would took the QB wings. As far as I can see the fuselage building gives more variety.

order

My rationale was as I was building the empennage I could not afford to buy both QB wing and fuse at the same time. The wing was the next in the series of construction so I got the standard build wing and ordered the QB fuse. Back then it took months of waiting for the QB fuse if you ordered the SB wing and I figured I would get a lot done on the wing while waiting. Life got in the way, but now am seriously building again and wings are beyond the 60% point. Sure wish I could have gone QB for both kits. The fuselage QB seemed like it would be the bigger time saver. If there is any way you can go QB for both do it. Good luck!

Go with QB Fuse

I ordered the QB Wings, thinking I wanted to do at least one other part myself - the fuse. In retrospect, I would order the QB fuse and build the wings.

The tail goes pretty quick (~200hrs) but you speed up as you get used to building techniques, your "life pace" etc. The wings are pretty straight forward and are a logical next step from the tail. The fuselage is fun, there's a lot of variety, but if you went QB you still have plenty of work to do on the fuse. And most of the builder additions and modifications on the fuse come well after the QB build-point.

I believe you would cut down your total build time if you went with SB wings, QB fuse, and you wouldn't feel you "missed out" on any building experience.

That's MTC

There is nothing in the wings that you haven't already done on the tail, plus there's a lot more room in which to work. The QB fuselage is a much better bargain. (My opinion!)

Mel said:
There is nothing in the wings that you haven't already done on the tail, plus there's a lot more room in which to work. The QB fuselage is a much better bargain. (My opinion!)

This is true, but if you enjoy working on something new (almost) every day, the fuselage can provide that. The wings, not so much.

Also, with QB wings, you won't be building fuel tanks. This could be a plus or a minus, but it's a plus in my book.

If I were to build again I would definitely do QB wings and slow fuse.

QB wings and standard fuselage

If you get the standard fuselage and go for the QB wings, you can build in a shorter time. It takes from six to eight months to get QB wings. If you order the standard fuselage at the same time as the tail kit, by the time that you finish the tail, the fuselage kit will be close to shippping. Then you can build the fuselage and forget about wings until you need them. This gives you time to do all the fun stuff like instrumentation, engine installation, canopy (fun?), and cowling. When the wings arrive, an experienced builder like you are at this stage, can complete them in about six days (three week ends).

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A

Paul Eastham said:
This is true, but if you enjoy working on something new (almost) every day, the fuselage can provide that. The wings, not so much.

Also, with QB wings, you won't be building fuel tanks. This could be a plus or a minus, but it's a plus in my book.

If I were to build again I would definitely do QB wings and slow fuse.
You bet! That's why we have choices. As far as the tanks go, I prefer to build my own. Of course I prefer to build everything myself. That's why I'm building my bi-plane from scratch.

Fuselage = WAY WAY WAY more fun than building the wings! I've gone slow build the whole way because I wanted the experience of building it all at least once. If I did it again and had the money, I'd get the QB wings with the fuel tanks done, all those ribs deburred and fluted, and control surfaces already done--the first two of those were the least satisfying parts of the build for me.

Options may force a choice.

If I understand correctly, I believe that if you want capacitive fuel sending units on the fuel tanks rather than floats, you may have little choice but to order standard build wings.

I'd go QB fuse

I'm building a complete slo-build (canopy stage) mainly because I thought the Vans primer system on the QBs was inadequate for the type of environment I plan to fly in. If I had a choice of mixed kits I'd definitely go for the QB fuselage. MUCH better value. There's a LOT of parts to hand fabricate in the fuselage. Also you need a lot more assistance with the building of the fuselage....specifically rivetting partners. I see that a lot of builders have multiple dings and poor workmanship on their planes because they are obviously struggling to get experienced assistance with rivetting in difficult places.

If ready availability of good assistance is in question....go QB fuse.

Here is why I did the QB fuse.

I started out to build the whole plane slow build and to make a perfect show plane (you know the award winner).
By the time the tail was built I changed my mind and was just going to build a great airplane.
By the time that the first wing was complete, I decided that I wanted to complete the plane in my life time, so I order the QB fuse.

There was no planing involved in choosing the fuse over the wing, just the realization about the time that I had to dedicate to the project.

Kent

Great points

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great points to consider on both sides of the debate. I didn't even consider Captian Avgas's point of access to quality build partner for the fuse. But it would be nice to avoid the fuel tanks IMO as well. I have a couple of months before I put the order in so I have a little time to figure out which way to go.

Back