What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 panel

N184JG

Well Known Member
I am thinking of installing my engine controls in the panel not in the drop down added to center of the panel. Has anyone done this and if so would you do it again.

I did and there are a couple disadvantages. To remove the panel, you have to remove the controls. Also, this makes Van's cables really tight if you used the plan recommended firewall hole locations.

The panel in my -6 was done this way, and I plan to do it that way again when I re-do the panel. I don't like the look of the "add-on" on the bottom of the panel. I am going to extend the bottom of my panel by an inch or two to get some more space in the panel when I do it though.

Example of engine controls in panel

I built my -6 with the engine controls in the panel. I did not want to have to disassemble the control cables to take out the engine controls so I notched the bottom of the panel and installed an angle in the slot for the controls. I like the location but it does take up vertical height that you may want for radios or GPS install. FYI, I have a 1" taller panel than the standard -6 panel. I don't know if the -7 panel is the the same height.

https://picasaweb.google.com/FSmidler/081123N96FSReadyToFly#5276745428841871186

Last edited:
engine controls

I installed my engine controls in the standard panel wth a slot and L bracket that allows easy removal. I was able to install 2 10 inch dynons and installed a radio, audio panel and 3 small steam guages above the controls in the center of the panel. Switches and breakers are below the dynons. I wanted the extra legroom and finished look.

I also did not like the add on, and did not like how far the controls stuck out from the panel. I also recessed my control cables. I high modify the fuel pump enclosure to except the vertical mount bracket.

before modification
26448qu.jpg

After Mod.
vx2r6r.jpg

after mod
2s781f7.jpg

Last edited:
Back