What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 or RV-7A?

mbetti

Looking at ordering fuselage kit, can't decide on which model. I am a tail pilot presently. Not sure about resale. Looking for some advice.
Mike

build it for you and forget about 'resale'...

build it for you and forget about 'resale'...

lot's of info on the differences and opinions available using search.

Great Quotes, but not helpful

Two of the best quotes I heard when I asked the same "7 or 7A" question:

7 guy: "I fly a taildragger for the same reason I drive a manual transmission: it takes more skill, it is more challenging, and I get a bigger sense of accomplishment."

7A guy: "I fly a tricycle gear because they are modern. I'll change to a taildragger when they start putting them on 747s!"

Both make sense, but don't help with your decision. There are huge forum fights on here that never answer that question. Good luck!

Looking at ordering fuselage kit, can't decide on which model. I am a tail pilot presently. Not sure about resale. Looking for some advice.
Mike

FWIW, My 9 is going ta be an "A" because I'm not a taildragger pilot and I don't feel that I can find a taildragger to build a LOT of time in before I finish building. Finally, now that I live in Vegas instead of MI/IN the wind makes me want to learn how to fly a taildragger in my RV even less.

I'd prefer a taildragger because it looks cooler and I wouldn't have to baby the nosewheel.

I had the same dilemma....

I started the project as an "A".. then switched to a taildragger when ordering the fuselage... I ended up converting it back to trigear becuse, after some taildragger lessons, I felt not so much confortable...

The taildragger is absolutely much more beautiful (in my opinion) and has a more robust landing gear if you plan to operate on grass strips. The tricycle is perfect if you fly from concrete strips, is easier to land in crosswind or if you don't have much experience in TW.. that was my personal consideration when I decided to build the trigear...

By the way.. build what you like more!

Wolfgang Langewiesche's "Stick and Rudder" came out in 1944. There is good practical information in that book relating to your question.

The responses here on the subject can be helpful but are seldom based on the aerodynamic technical aspects of the two configurations. The entire matter today is one of perception and image.

The popularity of the RV TDer is unquestioned and probably would be a surprise to pilots of WWI and WWII who had many a mishap managing the configuration in difficult circumstances. Certainly, there never was a pilot who turned down a chance to fly a F-86 because he came up the ladder in a P-51 tail dragger.

I personally like the RV8. If ever I would do this again, it would be an 8 even knowing it is aerodynamically unstable during landing.

Safety factors.

I always weigh the safety implications of a decision such as this. True, a tailwheel requires more skill, that's why my first choice would be an "A". On the other hand, if you fly weekly and have thousands of tw hours to your credit, you're capable of mitigating the additional risk.

7 guy: "I fly a taildragger for the same reason I drive a manual transmission: it takes more skill, it is more challenging, and I get a bigger sense of accomplishment."

7A guy: "I fly a tricycle gear because they are modern. I'll change to a taildragger when they start putting them on 747s!"

Both make sense, but don't help with your decision. There are huge forum fights on here that never answer that question. Good luck!

neither of those make sense to me, they're both flawed

Taildragger

Mike,
I built mine as a 7A and converted it to a 7 a couple of years ago. I would never go back. I fly into grass field frequently in the summer and it made me uncomfortable with the nose gear, and all my friends were building taildraggers. I fly into IMT in the summer and park the plane at Chads. I am going to be working up there for a month or so in April and early May. I plan on flying up if I can arrange some temporary hanger space, let me know if you know of anyone with space. I'll be glad to let you try some 7 landings.

2 aspects of the decision that aren't given enough thought in my opinion are:

1) exhaust exit area
2) CG

1 )In my observations the tail dragger has much cleaner exit area around the exhaust. There is a lot of tubular structure for the nose gear that dirties up the exit area. Cleaner exit can help with temperatures if you are going to choose an engine that produces a lot of heat. If you like experimenting with inlet vs. outlet sizes for speed, temp control or just 'cause, this will make it easier

2) If your engine, prop (and other, forward of CG) choices lean toward heavy, this helps the tail dragger CG. If your choices lean toward lighter, this helps the nose dragger CG. If your mission includes long trips with someone else and lots of luggage, be sure that your empty CG will be forward enough with your engine/prop choice that you can carry full baggage when fully fueled. Easier with a nose dragger but certainly is done all the time with tail draggers. Just be aware of the implications of your choices.

There's a big matrix of trade-offs. No right answer, just "informed consent":D

All this said, I built a Nose Dragger. Both have pluses and minuses.

Jeremy Constant

Mike,
I built mine as a 7A and converted it to a 7 a couple of years ago. I would never go back. I fly into grass field frequently in the summer and it made me uncomfortable with the nose gear, and all my friends were building taildraggers. I fly into IMT in the summer and park the plane at Chads. I am going to be working up there for a month or so in April and early May. I plan on flying up if I can arrange some temporary hanger space, let me know if you know of anyone with space. I'll be glad to let you try some 7 landings.

Thanks for the offer. I seen your airplane over there many times. Hanger space sucks at imt! I'm flying a murphy elite at present, lucky to have hanger space there.
Mike

Those are some pretty good quotes. Guess I'm a taildragger guy then *laughs* ...But I went stick for the simple reason of the car I drove never came with the option for an auto, not to mention automatics aren't as good in autocross (Corolla GT-S was standard only)

The only real advantages I could come up with are that the

A: is cheaper to insure

Taildragger is better for grass strips

The second bullet is debatable. I've got plenty of 6A time off of grass and never thought twice about it.

Personal preferance prevails here. I'm building a straight 7, purely because it looks cooler and will be more fun to fly IMO.

Back