What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 NX

Jpm757

Well Known Member
The RV-7 fleet will be eligible to display NX in 2026. I think the NX prefix is a little more tasteful than our required placard. Can I display NX prefix on 1/1/2026?

The RV-7 fleet will be eligible to display NX in 2026. I think the NX prefix is a little more tasteful than our required placard. Can I display NX prefix on 1/1/2026?
I think the requirement is 30 years from first example so it will be a little longer than 2026

You need to recheck your sources. My records show the next RV to be eligible for the "NX" to be the RV-8 (2025), followed by the RV-9 (2029), and then the RV-7 (2031).

And the eligibility goes by the date of first flight, not the calendar year.

You need to recheck your sources. My records show the next RV to be eligible for the "NX" to be the RV-8 (2025), followed by the RV-9 (2029), and then the RV-7 (2031).

And the eligibility goes by the date of first flight, not the calendar year.
According to this chart, the RV-9 would be eligible Summer 2030.

Van's History Timeline.jpg

Reference: https://www.kitplanes.com/50-years-of-success/

Last edited:
Yeah, different sources have different dates. This chart itself even shows the RV-9 prototype flew in 1997. Then it shows that Van flew the "proof of concept" RV-9A in the summer of 2000. If I remember correctly, the tri-gear RV-9 flew first and the taildragger came later.

Yeah, different sources have different dates. This chart itself even shows the RV-9 prototype flew in 1997. Then it shows that Van flew the "proof of concept" RV-9A in the summer of 2000. If I remember correctly, the tri-gear RV-9 flew first and the taildragger came later.
When the kit prototype was first flown and introduced in late spring/early summer of 2000, there was no plan to make a tail dragger so initially it was referred to as the RV-9.
The proof of concept airplane was built using parts of a previously built and certified RV-6B, and I think it was flown under that registration and airworthiness as an aircraft with major modifications so it’s first flight date technically couldn’t be applied to the start of the 30 year countdown.
The tail dragger version did come a few years later, and it was only at that time that the a was added to the model number for the tri gear.

It is nice that someone put all the effort into making the chart but it does have some errors.
As mentioned, the proof of concept, prototype RV – 9 was built from the RV – 6B.
I don’t remember the date of its first flight but it was somewhere in the 1998 to 1999 timeframe.
The proof of kit prototype is what first flu and was introduced in 2000

My records show the next RV to be eligible for the "NX" to be the RV-8 (2025),

Posting to remind myself, after researching a little, that it is specifically July 2025 (could not find exact day).

As I read the regs, only the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard can be removed but does it require getting the FAA to change the N number, so much fun, and it will require changing the numbers on the plane (new painting or decals), so much fun again.

As I read the regs, only the "EXPERIMENTAL" placard can be removed but does it require getting the FAA to change the N number, so much fun, and it will require changing the numbers on the plane (new painting or decals), so much fun again.
Not true - the FAA doesn’t have to change a thing. Your registration, AWC, etc all just have the N-number without the “X”…the only pl;ace type “X” is in teh painted number on the plane.

Not true - the FAA doesn’t have to change a thing. Your registration, AWC, etc all just have the N-number without the “X”…the only pl;ace type “X” is in teh painted number on the plane.
So, Paul, does one apply for an NX number, or just a regular N-number and then you just put the X in on the airplane? So, for example, if I wanted to have NX54HC, would I just apply for N54HC and then put the X in myself?

So, Paul, does one apply for an NX number, or just a regular N-number and then you just put the X in on the airplane? So, for example, if I wanted to have NX54HC, would I just apply for N54HC and then put the X in myself?
You just apply for the regular N-Number and insert the “X” if appropriate to your design. The “X” doesn’t appear on registration, AWC, etc.

Back