What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Nose Wheel

AlanNZ

I'm New Here
Good Morning all. I'm about to start a RV7 build (QuickBuild) and have been hearing some stories regarding the nose wheel on the 7a's being a little soft. I was talking to a builder yesterday that has changed thier build from a 7a to a 7.

When I asked them why, the response was that as yet there was "no fix" for the nose wheel issues. I also have another friend who has actually had a 7a nose wheel fail on a cross wind landing?

Most of the flying I do is from Grass strips and are still undecided the best way to go but are still unsure.

I'm sure this topic has been talked about on these forums but was just wondering where the nose wheeel issues (if there are any) are at?

Thanks

Alan,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of discussions on the nosewheel issue in the archives. Also look for the antisplat post, which is a modification that strengthens the nose leg - there's a lot of discussion on that as well. Bottom line is that, in most cases, the nosewheel is not an issue if one is careful, even on grass strips. The problem arises when/if you encounter a gopher hole, uneven step surface or something like that.

Full disclosure, I changed from a NW to TW and put on larger tires because I fly into some marginal strips up north.

Cheers,
greg

Confused Even more now!

Thanks for the response Greg,

I guess from my perspective this raises two issues.

1. What should I be building as NZ many of our airfields could be classified as "marginal" - I have absolutely no experience in tail draggers but have been talking to two well respected pilots that both have tail draggers and they have advised me to build a trike (7a)

2. After seeing some of the pictures and understanding more about the issue I'm a little shocked to see that Vans have not released a official fix for this problem. It makes me more than a little nurvious about the project!

Has there been any issues with the aircraft with the 3rd party modification fitted?

Thanks Again

Thanks for the response Greg,

I guess from my perspective this raises two issues.

1. What should I be building as NZ many of our airfields could be classified as "marginal" - I have absolutely no experience in tail draggers but have been talking to two well respected pilots that both have tail draggers and they have advised me to build a trike (7a)

2. After seeing some of the pictures and understanding more about the issue I'm a little shocked to see that Vans have not released a official fix for this problem. It makes me more than a little nurvious about the project!

Has there been any issues with the aircraft with the 3rd party modification fitted?

Thanks Again

Has there been any issues with the aircraft without the 3rd party modification fitted?

hint: separate facts from perceptions

Problems Without MOD

By the looks of it many problems, I know of at least one in NZ and by the looks on this forum many more in the US...

Last edited:

Yes "SHOCKED" just about sums it up!

Alan,

I'm not sure what to say overall, but here is my suggestion. Build the airplane so that it can be converted. If you get a QB fuselage, it will already be set up for either NW or TW. Although I will cost you maybe $3000 ($US) to change over, it is not particularly difficult or time-consuming to do. Build the airplane the way you think you want it, and then if you decide later, you can change things around.

I would guess that unless you are flying into paddocks, most of the fields in NZ are probably just fine for either flavor of RV (I lived in Taupo for three years, though I have not been to many of the other airfields). The key is 1) careful technique (keeping the NW off the ground as long as possible, and 2) inspecting the airfield before landing (if possible) if you have any doubts about the condition.

No matter the airplane, there is always the possibility of landing issues. If it isn't the nosewheel issue (which I am not convinced is a serious issue), then it's the potential to ground loop or drop a main in a TW airplane.

It will help to build as light as possible.

Best regards,
greg

p.s. When I converted to TW I had very little (like 3 hours years ago) TW time. It's just a different skill to be learned, not feared.

Nervous

Hi

First let me say I would prefer my 9 to be a tailwheel rather than a nose wheel. I was persuaded to build a 9a by other co owners.

Benefits of a tailwheel.

Will fit in a hangar with a lower door.
Much easier to push back and forward especially on grass.
A little faster, etc,etc.

Having said that the 9a is a delight to fly and land especially in a cross wind. I have flown into several grass strips in the UK, and e have some rough ones. Provided you land on the mains and keep the stick in your gut to let the nose settle, then hold it there while taxiing there is no problem.

Too many pilots land nose first, fail to keep the stick back with dire consequences.

Having said that if there is a hole in the ground your nose wheel hits you have problems. Thats where the nosejob comes in. I have applied for a mod for this in the UK.

Remember, tailwheels have their issues too.........groundlooping. Our Tailwind as just written off as a result of a ground loop, which again as down to poor judgement and piloting.

So you pay your money and take your choice. Personally I will become a lot less nervous about my 9a when I have the nosejob fitted.

All Good Information

Firstly thank you for all the fantastic and honest information. I take it by the "Nose Job" comments, you are meaning http://antisplataero.com/Home.php ??

Can anyone tell me, is there any other gotya's I need to look out for when building?

Thanks Again

Back