What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Left Side Brake Reservoir ?

704CH

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

I have done some searching and haven't found this exact question.

Are there any conflicts I will run into as I go firewall forward if I use the exact measurements for the plans, but put the reservoir on the Left side instead? I am not putting in right side brakes on my 7, so want to put the brake reservoir on the left side so I don't have to run the lengthier lines..

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
No, your brakes will not know the difference. You can put the reservoir anywhere thats convenient and at the highest point in the system, fore or aft of the firewall.

I did that and have run into no problems at all. Significantly simplified the brake hose runs.

IMG_9247.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

Remember, the line from the reservoir to the master cyl. is never under any pressure and you can use the clear line that Van's has in the kit. But I would upgrade the fittings.

It depends on what the future looks like. That is where Vans says to put the manifold. It is also where a lot of electrical stuff comes through the firewall. So it is a compromise as to what will be in the way later. Vans says to mount the manifold vertical but I found it more advantagous to mount it horizontal on an existing stringer.

Back