What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Intersection Fairings

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I am busy finishing off a 10 year old project (RV7) and has fitted the RV Bits fairings. It is the first time I could actually fit them my selves.

What a pleasure! They fit very nicely and I only had to trim the bottom fairings slightly smaller (personal Preference).

See http://rvbits.mybigcommerce.com/

question

Hi Jan,

Good to hear how easily these were to install.

Are the products sold through Cleaveland Aircraft Tool your product as well? Hope so...I have a set. They look very nice and I'll be anxious to get them on my plane someday.

I'll be in touch soon about purcashing another carbon plenum.

Take care,

Hi SeanB,
Yes Cleaveland stock them as well.
Thankful to say that after hundreds sold I had to refund one guy who said they were not good enough. Pity :eek:

I also have to ad that due to the light weight one cannot "bond and split" the bottom as received. Personally I favor the method of keeping them as one piece.

Both top and bottoms need a small fastener (screw or tie wrap) where the trailing edge meets the trailing edge of the fairings. See picture below. Here I have used a small screw and lock nut at the top and a tie wrap at the bottom, just to demonstrate.

RVB-INT12_01.jpg

Nut plates

Jan,

Thanks for the pics. Regarding the trailing edge...I wonder if nut plates could be bonded (sandwiched) on the underside in those two places? Then a small equivalent screw could be used to secure. Maybe even countersunk?

I also have to ad that due to the light weight one cannot "bond and split" the bottom as received. Personally I favor the method of keeping them as one piece.

Hmmm. There are -- at least were in my case -- no instructions that came with these when ordered through Cleaveland, so this assertion is new to me and comes sadly after the fact. With Cleaveland, you get a box with the fairings inside. Nothing else.

I did bond and split the bottom because there was nothing to say I couldn't. A couple of weeks ago the bottom of the aft piece ripped apart, I THINK because the aft piece sat higher up -- slightly so -- than the front piece and it might have cause some airstream. You can see in the picture where I'd added a nutplate to the leg fairing to keep that aft piece secure. That was a dump thing to do b/c the fairing needs to "ride" inside the fairing, what with it being clamped up top and all. Now I just use that hole to get the leg fairing lined up properly when I happen to take it and/or the wheel pants off for service, then remove the screw.

ripped_i_fairing.jpg

Ted Chang gave me the fix, which was to bond in layers of fiberglass along the aft piece that slips beneath the front piece, essentially creating a beveled edge like the aft wheelpants have when mating to the forward half.

I also reinforced the bottom where bonded with some carbon fiber. We'll see how it goes. If I had to do it again -- and who knows, the way things are going, maybe I will --- I would definitely do it as a single piece. I just wish that advisory were somehow contained with what is a pretty large investment of cash for the size of the part.

Using a small nut/screw on the aft edge is a good idea. I tried bonding those pieces together but aft edge of the leg fairing acts like a putty knife and will pry it apart with minimal movement.

BTW, there's no way to get a nutplate in there. There isn't enough room and you'd have to add two. That's a lot of weight ... unnecessary weight, imo.

As for the upper fairings, I really liked the ones I received in terms of how they mate with leg fairing. But I wasn't entirely satisfied with how it fit with bottom of the fuselage and, in particular, the dip to the wing gap fairing, especially with the rubber channel between the two really gumming up the works. Since I'd already bought the cheap Van's fairings, I found those fit well with the fuse/wing gap but not so great with the leg fairing, so I just laid up a few layers and I'm sending the RV Bits pieces to a friend in exchange for beer at Oshkosh. They're very well made, they look a heck of a lot better in construction than the ones from Van's, they just didn't work for me the way I wanted them to.

Last edited:
It is a pity that you did not get the instructions and I apologize for that even if I could not plan for that. It is available at www.rvbits.com

So now let us see if the 200 or so happy customers can tune in :)

How are guys attaching the trailing edges of the upper fairing? I don't want a nut hanging out, but want something clean but easily removed.

It is a pity that you did not get the instructions and I apologize for that even if I could not plan for that. It is available at www.rvbits.com

So now let us see if the 200 or so happy customers can tune in :)

I like the fairings just fine! I haven't installed them yet, but in my minds eye, I envisioned them going on the same way as shown in these instructions that I just found for the first time on your website!

http://www.rvbits.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Main-Gear-Intersection-Fairing-Installation.pdf

Like Bob, I never got any instructions in the box either. Unlike Bob, I bought them directly from you, not from Cleaveland.

I think the whole splitting and bonding them method is a bit overkill personally.

I really like them though! They are what they are!

;) CJ

I think the whole splitting and bonding them method is a bit overkill personally.
That was my first impression too and so I just used screws.

However, what I've found is that having to remove all those screws (especially some that are a bit tough to get a screw driver on) makes it a bit more of a disincentive to remove the front wheel pant halves on a regular basis to check tire pressure and inspect things. I'll probably bond them and split them next time I feel motivated to do some fiberglass work.

And, like you, CJ, I just checked on the RVbits website and easily found the instructions. No big deal. A great product that I would highly recommend!

Last edited:
Thank you !

Feeling better now ;)

I think if one wants to bond and split, one should build a flange on the inside of the aft part and it will be just fine.

The idea with these fairings were that we gaurantee that you will get a very smooth well fitting piece with no pinholes. They are very thin and light weight like most are asking for. If you bond and split they might need more strength.

Talking about screw - working on any RV you undo screws and here in dark Africa we get a small palm type Bosch screwdriver with a 90 degree adaptor. Then I also have a cheap dumpy type with a flexible drive.This is so useful if one needs to undo those pesky bottom wheel pant screws. ALWAYS travels with me.

I think you might want to add your "too thin to bond" warning to the online instructions, though.

Also, can I say how much I love the term "wheel spats" over "wheel pants?"

I use one small countersunk screw in the back of both the top and the bottom fairings with a thin nylock nut.

Truth is that they are hardly noticeable once installed.

The fairings fit like a glove and are ready to paint out of the box. I screwed mine to the wheel pant. Takes about 2 more minutes than the bonded style to remove the pant.

For the money, quality and the effort required to install these fairings, they are in my opinion the best deal out there for someone that just wants to screw them on and be done with it.

Ditto

I use one small countersunk screw in the back of both the top and the bottom fairings with a thin nylock nut.

Truth is that they are hardly noticeable once installed.

The fairings fit like a glove and are ready to paint out of the box. I screwed mine to the wheel pant. Takes about 2 more minutes than the bonded style to remove the pant.

For the money, quality and the effort required to install these fairings, they are in my opinion the best deal out there for someone that just wants to screw them on and be done with it.

Like Brian, mine required very little tweaking before installation. I don't have the small countersunk screw and nylock nut on the back but I may just try that. However, I have very little separation on the ends and may not. :D

Back