What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Gear Legs

butch

Well Known Member
I am trying to find info on after marker gear legs for my RV7. Is anyone aware of a company that produces them?

Thanks,
Butch
RV4 flying and for sale
RV7 working on finishing kit
Central MN

Have you tried contacting Grove Aircraft? The RV7 isn't listed, but their website has the following statement on it...

We have built landing gear for over 200 different types of aircraft and all are not listed. We have probably built landing gear for your type aircraft?if not, we probably can. Just contact us for fast, friendly design assistance.

Link:-
http://www.groveaircraft.com/

Might be worth contacting them...

Gear Legs

Butch

If you have the set that Van's ships with the kit and would like to sell them let me know. I have a flying 7A and am going to convert to a taildragger and will have to replace mine.

I've got a set

Butch

If you have the set that Van's ships with the kit and would like to sell them let me know. I have a flying 7A and am going to convert to a taildragger and will have to replace mine.

Hey Pete,

I've got a set of 7 gear legs I'd like to sell. Contact me.

It looks like I need to clarify what I am looking for. My interest is to find a company that produces a lighten (such as titanium) gear legs that the harmon rocket uses and possibly an extended length. Any advise is appreciated, thanks!

Butch
RV4 flying and for sale $45000
RV9 near completed airframe, needs motor and avionics for sale

Ti gear legs

If you are looking for Titanium gear legs, be prepared for a big price tag. I think the rocket guys are looking to switch over to steel because the Ti is SO expensive. I don't know the exact price, but it seems like it was 3-5 times as much as the steel.

I think the titanium gear legs are in the area of $3500.00 I'm sure the cool factor is way up there along with the weight savings but there are other ways to lighten an RV.

Long and short of it

Of course the rocket gear is longer and not sure any one, including the rocket ti gear maker is tooled up to make a shorter gear leg.

RV-7 is already TAIL HEAVY. Why do you want to make it lighter fwd of the wing. I guess if you want to hang a 540 on the noise fine, but why do that, a IO-390 with a little tuning would be close to the same power with less weight and the 390 would make the CG just right even with steel gear.

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know the difference in weight from steel to Titanium?

Butch
RV4 flying and for sale
RV9 near completed airframe and for sale

Ti density

A quick search on Ti on the net finds that Ti weighs about 44% less than steel. This would give you a weight savings of about 10 - 12 lbs at most. If I remember correctly the Ti gear has to be made a little larger in diameter to get equal strength and performance as a spring on the plane.

If you still have your gear legs for sale for your RV-7 and they are the mains for a tail dragger please call me.
Thanks,
Don
907-351-6589

I've been thinking about this also. I'm no expert as I have only flown in 3 RVs ( 2 RV7 and 1 Rv7A) and have landed only one, an A. It appears to me that the gear in a 3 pt attitude would not be a "full stall" attitude. I know it's mostly my speculation at best. Just for reference point, I have 1600 hrs. TW in SEL in most post WW2 aircraft, i.e. Luscombes, Super cubs, etc. I remember that Citabrias (KCABs) always landed TW first in a full stall landing. I'm coming back to GA in ernest, so I have much to learn how much has changed. My current ride is a B737, so I always flare waaaaaaaay too high.
Thanks,
Rick Maury
RV7 SB
Wings and tail done, fuse. in progress

Back