What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 FP idle RPM?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I am new to RV's and Lyco's, so I will just ask...

Seem to me my 'new' RV7 with an XP-IO-360 std slick mags roller tappets, carries a bit too much redundant prop speed in the final flare, with the idle speed set at 830 RPM static. It just hangs in the final flare 3 point for almost ever :D

Where do you Sensinich fixed pitch Prop RV7 guys set your static idle RPM?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Rudi

Approach speed

The RPM is not unreasonable. What are you using for approach speed? If you are crossing the numbers at much more than 65kts you'll float for a while.

FP Prop RPM

I think your static rpm is a bit high. My RV-7A w/ 0-360 w/ FP wood prop idles at 500 - 550 rpm.

I like it low.

Hi Guys,

I am new to RV's and Lyco's, so I will just ask...

Seem to me my 'new' RV7 with an XP-IO-360 std slick mags roller tappets, carries a bit too much redundant prop speed in the final flare, with the idle speed set at 830 RPM static. It just hangs in the final flare 3 point for almost ever :D

Where do you Sensinich fixed pitch Prop RV7 guys set your static idle RPM?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Rudi

I like my idle rpm as low as the engine will reliably idle, typically 600 RPM (or so). Every extra hundred RPM adds a considerable amount of "float" on landing, especially in an RV.

Even with a constant speed prop, idle speed makes a difference in landing quality.

Some guys like it a bit higher, at 700 to 750. Opinions vary. :)

At 830, your number appears a bit high.

As an experiment, set your RPM on final to 1000 and see how long it takes to get down. :) RV's love to fly.

Just my 2c,
JP

MY RPM IS SET AT 550 AND I TAXI AT 800+....... WOODEN PROPS HAVE THE PROBLEM OF NEEDING THE HIGHER RPM.....

Last edited:
Back