What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 flap/skin interference

whifof100ll

Well Known Member
All,

On my advice, one of my flying buddies purhcased a flying RV-7. Is is thrilled with the performance. As an RV-6 builder, I have been helping, or trying to help him with techncial issues. I need help on this one. The kit was build from a quickbuild and has not had any airframe issues over the first 100 hours or so.

After a landing at Sun and Fun, he inadvertently struck an orange traffic cone upon exit from the runway with a flap. He did not notice that the flap forward edge had gone around the trailing edge of the outboard skin, and upon retraction it bend the outboard skin up. We removed the flap and bent the skin back down temporarily. The plane has flown many more hours since then while we contemplate the repair strategy. Recently, the flap got caught around the forward edge again and upon retraction, again bent the skin up.

I have not seen the plane since the latest incident yet, but even before this occurance, I beleve that the best repair is to replace the top outboard skin ( existing one is streched at the bend line) and repaint that wing. The plane is a beauty and any other repair that I can concieve will be visible, at least if I were doing it. I am also probaly not the best choice to replace the skin or do the refinish work though I am OK with implementing something like a limit switch on the flap mechanism if we go that route.

Of course a major concern is that this does not happen again. We will make sure that the skin/flap has enough overlap. If it does not, I will look for a way to slightly limit the flap travel. Insight on this would be appreciated.

The main question here is that we are interested in suggestions for a good airframe repair shop, or builder, to replace the top skin. I know many of the builder assistance guys can do this easlily, but many of the good ones (Like Jay Pratt) are booked up. The aircraft is located in Lousisana, and is flyable, so Louisiana, Mississipi, Texas, Arkansas, ect. would be easy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale Lambert
C177
RV-6 finishing kit
Sometimes RV-7 pilot :>)

Back