What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Exhaust

rv767

Friend
I have a TMX IO-360 with Superior cold air induction and would like to hear about your experience with exhaust systems. I talked to Larry Vetterman about his systems and he seems to be partial to his four pipe exhaust (clearance,performance a little better) but says the crossover is good too. What was your choice and what do you think? Any heat muff issues with either? Thanks for your time.

I called Larry to discuss options also and I couldn't be happier with my Vetterman 4 pipe. The fit and finish is perfect. The dual pipe heat muff supplies plenty of heat(I've flown Below 0*F). And my plane makes great power. Great service as it arrived ahead of promised time.

Could any of these be better? I don't know and don't care. Larry V gave me the info for me to make an informed decision. No reason to look back or second guess.

The Cool Factor

Plus, the four pipe exhaust has an unmistakable cool tone to it! Hard to explain, but you know how you know the sound of a round engine when it goes by? Well, the four pipe has its own distinct sound (but different from a round engine). And Larry does excellent work.

Check out my install at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/frazitl/FirewallFWD#

IMG_2733.jpg

The Vetterman 4 into 4 works very well with the Superior cold air induction. Easy routing and mounting of the control cables. Sound great according to wifey and our yellow Lab. I expect great reliability given the lack of a crossover. Only problem I had was that I needed to add exit area due to the room taken up by the four pipes and our high 100F + temps in Las Vegas. Still, I'd not hesitate to do it again...

Last edited:
https://picasaweb.google.com/frazitl/FirewallFWD#

IMG_2733.jpg

The Vetterman 4 into 4 works very well with the Superior cold air induction. Easy routing and mounting of the control cables. Sound great according to wifey and our yellow Lab. I expect great reliability given the lack of a crossover. Only problem I had was that I needed to add exit area due to the room taken up by the four pipes and our high 100F + temps in Las Vegas. Still, I'd not hesitate to do it again...

I have the same setup as Terry & am very happy with the performance and the sound(as others have told me). 600 hours and counting.
My only gripe is that the exhaust cross over is just below the bottom oil drain port. I have to use the side port as an alternative.
My sump was a replacement for the ryton sump.

Terry, not sure you remember me but I was a member of 1300 about 6 years ago. I was building the same time as Mike Smith.
Someday I'll make it back there while passing thru. My 2 Navy sons are based in San Diego.

Last edited:
Dan

You are always welcome of course, and if you fly in, I can promise you hangar space...:)

Back