What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Exhaust Choice

ghatch

Does anyone have recent experience with an AWI exhaust system (4 into 1) especially in a James cowl? I have a Vetterman exhaust but am concerned that there have been clearance problems with the James cowl and Vetterman exhaust. AWI builds their RV7 exhaust using an actual RV7 James cowl. I would appreciate any comments or experiences. I want to make the decision as to whether to send the Vetterman back and order the AWI before I start the cowl installation.

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch

We have the AWI and it seems superb in quality, we have the standard cowl on a 7 and have yet to run the engine, cowling is getting close as is the first run! AWI are minutes from my house and very good at what they do it seems. The only thing I will look at shortly is the inlet and outlet hole positions on the heat shroud, seems we may need to have the position changed on a new one to fit our tube routing better.

Chris

No clearance problems - SJ cowl

Does anyone have recent experience with an AWI exhaust system (4 into 1) especially in a James cowl? I have a Vetterman exhaust but am concerned that there have been clearance problems with the James cowl and Vetterman exhaust. AWI builds their RV7 exhaust using an actual RV7 James cowl. I would appreciate any comments or experiences. I want to make the decision as to whether to send the Vetterman back and order the AWI before I start the cowl installation.

Thanks,
Gerry Hatch
I have the Vetterman (from Van's) and the SJ cowl and no clearance problems.

Thanks Guys. I have a vertical induction IO-360 with Bendix controller and James Cowl. No way does the AWI (High quality) fit with the FI controller nor would it fit with a carb. It is on it's way back to Eric at AWI for rework. I don't know how they could have welded this in a jig which included a vertical induction carb or Bendix FI. I went with the AWI because they seem to have no problem fitting in the James cowl. Now if they only made the system to fit a normal vertical induction system as well.

We'll see how Eric does at the repair. He has been helpful so far

Gerry

Back