What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Engine Side Firewall Insulation

jmjula

Well Known Member
Has anyone put some insulation on the forward side of the firewall in a 7, or 9 for that matter? I am pretty sure I want to put the FiberFrax I procured on the front instead of back of the FW, but I am stuggling with how to deal with the cut out, and which items to cut around versus install on top of. Any ideas or pictures are welcome, thanks.

Depends on your mission. Are you seeking fire protection? If so, check Dan Horton's threads.

If you're simply trying to keep your feet from overheating under normal ops, try this:

Heat Shield Mat

Do a search for heat shields or firewall insulation. You should be able to see Dan Horton's detailed thread with lots of posts. I posted some pics of my installation on that thread also. There is a lot of information there to take in that should help you.

I have been through most of those threads, and have a good idea how to secure the stuff to the firewall in general. The main question I have is whether to install the items attached to the firewall over the insulation, or cut around it? The PC-680 battery is one of the bigger concerns because it would move it further from the wall if placed on top of the insulation, thus increasing the load on the bolts. A lot of the other stuff is light enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

firewall

Has anyone put some insulation on the forward side of the firewall in a 7, or 9 for that matter? I am pretty sure I want to put the FiberFrax I procured on the front instead of back of the FW, but I am stuggling with how to deal with the cut out, and which items to cut around versus install on top of. Any ideas or pictures are welcome, thanks.

thanks to dan for his input with the ss shim and fiberfrax i used this on my build. .003" stainless shim and .125 fiberfrax worked well. i removed my engine mount [ engine was hung and wired] to do the job which was the best way to do it. the battery box and other fittings pull up tight over the thickness and anchor it securely, riviting with tinnerman washers elsewhere .main work is in templates for the recessed firewall and allowing for the thickness of the materials ,only trouble i had was getting mcmaster carr to send the shimm to here in australia, only firm i have dealt with that wouldnt trade with us . fortunatly i had a contact in LA that did it for me.

Back