What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Empennage Front Spar Drilling Question

Lou

I think that I might be stuck on stupid.:confused:

Empennage - HS stab front spar - HS702/HS710/HS714 prior to bending

Page 6-1 under "Front Spar Assembly" step 2 - drill/match drill all holes inboard of the HS-404/HS-405 rib attach points. But a note on DWG 3 indicates that 4 of the holes "Enlarge/Drill 3/16 DIA in assembly with fuselage, 4 places" in view A-A.

Am I interpreting the step by step instructions too literally and I should drill all except those four 3/16" holes? I tried reading ahead to see where they might get drilled out at a later point, but my eyes started to cross as I went deeper and deeper into the instructions and could not figure it out.

I searched this site but it looks like everyone else sailed through these steps without a problem.

emp

Hey Lou: We no not drill these 3/16" holes untill we are ready to fit/assemble the HS to the Fuse.
regards

"But a note on DWG 3 indicates that 4 of the holes "Enlarge/Drill 3/16 DIA in assembly with fuselage, 4 places" in view A-A."

Thanks for the sanity check

Thanks, I was really starting to think that I might not be cut out for this. I feel much better now!:)

Just keep chugging along. The first few days were the hardest for me. When you get further into the empennage, things start to make sense (and you get used to reading plans). Happy building.

Back