What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Cowl - Advice please on first cut ?

shuttle

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I want to make a start on my cowling. This is my first one ever so would appreciate some advice on the first move.
I've decided to follow DanH's recommendation to get the nose section sorted out first so am not yet considering the horizontal join along the sides.

I've included some photos below. Apologies for the colour balance - I forgot to reset the White Balance back to normal from fluorescent light setting.

The photos show the cowl halves butted as best they can. They touch on the far outside left and right (outboard of the air intakes). A straight line connecting the joins at the far outsides passes roughly along the lip in the centre ring on the bottom cowl. In other words, on the top cowl, the bottom of the centre ring section is about 1/4 inch higher than the bottom edge outboard of the air intakes.

My initial thought is to remove material from the top cowling on the outside edges to bring those points into a straight line with the bottom of the top cowl centre ring. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

The last photo shows the Spinner Back Plate sitting on the cowl centre ring. The Back Plate diagonal is aligned with that straight-line connecting the joints at the outboard edges. As you can see, the Back Plate seems to align nicely with the bottom of the ring on the bottom cowl but the ring on the top cowl is high relative to the Back Plate. This appears to support the idea of bringing the top cowl down.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Steve

jfw049.jpg
vymhye.jpg
14b3vl.jpg

2v8peah.jpg
282ou8x.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff,
I've re-read Brian's excellent writeups. Brian's top cowl was good to go. He needed to cut down the outside inlet area on his bottom cowl. Mine's the other way around so I'm keen to check that I won't hit any issues cutting back the inlet area on the top cowl by possibly as much as 1/4".

Enough room for 1/4 turn fasteners?

p.s. Another reason I'm a little concerned about having to trim back the top cowl is that, to have the cowl join line run level down the side of the a/c I might need to extend the trimming further back along the cowl.

I am going to be using 1/4 turn fasteners along the sides so need enough space left below the honeycombe to take the fasteners.

Back