What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-7 control stick bending

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So I am atcthe point where I can mount my center console and climb in and move the stick around. The big concern with these center consoles is the fact that it restrics the stick movement ( for the pilot) to the right and ( the passenger) to the left. Now the amount of stricter movemment is very minimal and you can still reach full deflection when needed. My idea is to put a bend in the lower portion of the stick (Similar to how the 8 drivers do to bring the stick in closer) to move the position to the left and right respectively. I have been trying to come up with all the reasons on how this could be a bad idea and so far I have stumped myself. The benefits that I see is that this would now allow the sticks to be centered on the body as well as reduce the amount of restriction caused by your leg. I'm not sure if the stick is long enough to begin with so it may take some major modifications of getting another piece of piece bending that piece and then cutting and welding it onto the original.

Any ideas??

-David

take another-

piece of tubing, have it bent like you want and test fit it. Your RV cabin is alittle different because of the console. You might have to wait until the interior is mostly finished to find out.
There is a vendor on VAF that bends sticks for -8's---maybe he can do a prototype for you.
Tom

Shorter is not the concern. The position of the stick to your body is a off set to the right an inch or two. This is whats causing the interference. I am thinking that using a new piece of tubing to test is going to be the best bet right now. I see what the concern now is with the interior, It may require another modification but what fun would it be if it dident right?

-david

If you really want to do this....

Why would you need to bend the sticks? Why not just adjust them to angle outward slightly?

I really don't recommend this! Is the addition of a center console that important? I don't think you will be happy in the long run.

I really don't recommend this! Is the addition of a center console that important? I don't think you will be happy in the long run.

Especially when you go to dive under the panel...... and you will.

Can we see a picture?

Back