What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Considerations

PilotRPI

So I'm now whole bunch closer to buying an RV-7 tail kit than ever before. I've been flying for 18 years and have always wanted to build my own. I'm finally in a position where I can build something, as I have a two car garage and a decent size basement with a shop area.

I'm pretty certain I will go the QB route. A few questions I was hoping you could all help with:

-What are the dimensions of the wings? I would love to do that in the basement (with a door to the garage), so I can keep the cars in the garage during the winter.

-Are there tool kits for QB that differ than those for use in standard kit building?

-My thoughts right now for the 7 would be tailwheel, O-320, fixed pitch, and a solid VFR panel. My goal is a all-metal, faster cruising, Citabria, with side-by-side seating. It seems the 7 can get a little tail heavy with a 360 and fixed pitch, but I think the mount is a little longer for the 320. Would this setup be an issue? Of course, 2-3 years down the road, maybe I'll end up going 360 CS, but would like to understand the options up front.

-I live near 495 and 90 in Mass. Anyone nearby building that I could come by and check out your project? I just missed the EAA classes in Boston. Hopefully they come around soon again.

Thanks!

Jesse

All do able.

Someone will chime in with the wing dimensions but guys are building them in garages all over.

Tools - have a cruise around the forum, most of the tools are the same.

Motor - I will be honest - don't go for the 320. If the budget is tight, get a good overhauled O-360 with a hollow crank and upgrade later. Balance isn't a problem, put the battery on the firewall and move on.

Main thing is get that tail kit ordered and dig in - you won't regret it.

Jesse,

I'm building a 9A (tail) in Ashland just around the corner. There really isn't much to show at this point but would be more than happy to have you see the half of a two car garage shop that I have put together :)

PM me if you want to just talk or come and take a look. Nothing put together at this stage, just parts prep and some cleco'd assemblies.

Jeff

Jesse,
Another dimension to keep in mind is the apparatus that will hold the wings while being built. I tried two alternate designs that I found here, but ultimately went with the Vans suggestion in the plans. The total length of this is around 112", or so. The number 104" between the 4x4's is what I recall. Of course, now that I've written all this I am not sure how much applies to QB -7 as mine wings were slow build.
My guess is that tools are tools. I cant think of any tools in my shop that you might not need. You certainly wouldn't need it as much, but I've used every single tool I got in my kit.

wing dimensions

Welcome.

If you plan on QB there is no jig required. You would need a wing stand to store them and maybe a makeshift stand to work on them. If you're curious about the slow build wings, my jigs are 118" from edge to edge. There are pictures in my blog. I used the steel floor mount method and love them. They are rock solid. I also have room go mount the control surfaces when the time comes. The wing is 115" from spar cap end to the edge of the outboard skin. The tip is about 18" wide at the widest edge.

I built my -9 taildragger in my basement and had to enlarge the outside door to get the fuselage out. I went from a 32" wide door to a 64" double door.

This presented problems when it was time to get the fuselage out as I had to remove the landing gear and reach inside with the engine hoist to pull it out, reinstall the gear, and then roll it to the trailer.

If I were to do it again, I would install a slightly wider door. You don't need much more room, maybe two inches.

As an aside, the landing gear on a -9 taildragger is taller than on a -7, thus it is probably a slightly wider stance. So maybe, just maybe, you can get a -7 out a 64" wide double door. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

(See my website for pictures.)

Jeff,

Bring Jesse down to my place.

I will have my VP-X box later this week to show you!

Jesse, shoot me an email. My door is always open!

Good to see another startup in the area.

:cool: CJ

My wing jig is 114 inches from where the spar rest on the angle support to the tooling hole in the last wing jig. A single bay garage is enough to build either the wings or fuselage.
However, I made my wife pull her car outside with Miya truck for over 2 years because you also have to store the wings and tail section while working on the fuselage. You can hange the tail parts while your building the wings and fuselage.
I did slow build on my wings and I honestly do not know if you can build a QB set of wings on a table top. It was nice having the wing jig as I was able to install my flaps and aileron on the wings.
Jack

Doable!

I'm working on a slow build 7. Wing length is 114", inside dimension, between the support posts. Add about a foot for the tips and other stuff in the end. I have a two-wing stand that works pretty well and is compact

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=wjbencze&project=2206&category=0&log=178120&row=2

We have a pretty full two car garage that hasn't seen a car in many a year -- it's an aircraft factory now. A two car garage is plenty big enough.

The tools you will need will likely be the same for the QB as the SB, though with the SB, you get alot more experience with bucking (and removing) rivets.

The RV is quite a bit faster than the slow-tabria (truth in advertising, I love the Citabria!). Not really a direct replacement; think of it as a big upgrade (116 HP; the mighty Citabria is no RV!). Most all my logged tailwheel time is in the Citabria

Sorry I'm on the wrong coast, but you're welcome anytime!

-B

Jesse-

I'm not far away, Hope Valley, RI. Working on a slow build '7 in my garage. About half way through the wings. Be happy to have you come down and look.

-Ivan

So I'm now whole bunch closer to buying an RV-7 tail kit than ever before. I've been flying for 18 years and have always wanted to build my own. I'm finally in a position where I can build something, as I have a two car garage and a decent size basement with a shop area.

I'm pretty certain I will go the QB route. A few questions I was hoping you could all help with:

-What are the dimensions of the wings? I would love to do that in the basement (with a door to the garage), so I can keep the cars in the garage during the winter.

Ball park, about 10' x 5' when complete with the tips and control surfaces off.

-Are there tool kits for QB that differ than those for use in standard kit building?

Everything you need for the slow build you'll need for a QB. Still the same process, you just do less of it.

-My thoughts right now for the 7 would be tailwheel, O-320, fixed pitch, and a solid VFR panel. My goal is a all-metal, faster cruising, Citabria, with side-by-side seating. It seems the 7 can get a little tail heavy with a 360 and fixed pitch, but I think the mount is a little longer for the 320. Would this setup be an issue? Of course, 2-3 years down the road, maybe I'll end up going 360 CS, but would like to understand the options up front.

My recommendation is build the tail, then the wings, then the fuselage and figure out over the build what you want. Avionics will change 100 times between now and then, and buying a motor and having it sit is never a good thing. You never know what life circumstances may hold you up as well. That said, the 7 tends to bias tail heavy. If you build it light and straight not only will you want the weight of a 360 and constant speed prop up front, you'll have a screamer.

-I live near 495 and 90 in Mass. Anyone nearby building that I could come by and check out your project? I just missed the EAA classes in Boston. Hopefully they come around soon again.

Thanks!

Jesse

Comments above. I did QB wings and fuse. Comments/advice are based on mistakes we made along the way.

KevinsRV7, I fly out of Sterling, so a trip to you wouldn't be that much farther. If you are having a builder gathering sometime, I'd love to stop by.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I have a slightly longer than 10' space in the basement to work on the wings, which would be perfect. So between that and the two car, I'd like to (read as need to) leave at least one car in the garage when I'm doing the fuselage.

I'm aware how different that RV7 is against the Citabria. Its more like the RV7 is everything I'd want the Citabria to be. Stall/approach is very similar when light, side-by-side which me and the wife enjoy more for distance cruising, non-painful cruise speeds, can handle light acro (all I would do), and doesn't handle like the truck of the skies (C172).

Jesse

Back