What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Catto prop performance figures or experience?

JRV

Hi,
Does any one have any real life performance figures or experience with an 0-360 behind a 3 blade cato prop? Thanks

Yep

Sure do. My -6A ran 201 MPH TAS/7500' and 2750 RPM. Craig pitched my prop for max cruise speed so I gave up somewhat on takeoff and climb. No regrets and it sure was/is smooth.

I sold her and she lives on an airpark in Ft. Myers, Florida....basking in the sun:)

Another -6 that picked me up after delivery to the new owner had identical speeds...O-360, three blade Catto.

Best,

Love it

Swapped my Sensenich for a Catto 3 blade and would not consider going back, better take off performance, better cruise performance, smoother, lower CHT on #1 on take-off and at WOT is only a couple of MPH slower than my buddies -7 with IO-360 and CS prop. Another benefit is that the plane slows down better I think because there is less rotational mass so the engine rpm drops quicker than the sensenich, not as good as the CS but better than before.
Only issues are I had to add a heavy Sabre spacer to keep in cg with full baggage and min fuel (I have a landoll ring also) and I have the non metal leading edge so have to be cautious about rain (plan to upgrade this year). And oh by the way I love the look :D
Picture here http://ukfigs.blogspot.com/

Prop me up!

JRV,

I was honored to test Craig's first RV 2 blade prop on my RV4 back in 98'. Since then he has honed his design to a fine art.

I recently flew Chad J's former RV7 from IL to FL. In my small business (LLC) I get to fly many different RV's and compare. Chad's RV-7 was light, with a Cold-Air Induction 0-360, Sam James cowl and fairings and Catto 3 Blade. The performance and handling was the best for an RV-7 I have flown yet. The prop was perfectly matched for the 0-360 and very smooth. It was fast and light, a great combination for this design, or any.

Performance:
S.L. WOT 2750 RPM 178 KIAS
13,500' WOT 2600 184 KTAS

For the cost, return, performance and simplicity, Craig's props are a win-win in my book.
V/R
Smokey

Chad J's former RV-7 now in S. Africa

My current RV-X with New Catto 2 blade, nickel leading edges.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info,

Any ideas of speed/fuel at a more sedate pace of 24-2500rpm

Thanks in advance

2400 - 2500 rpm

Thanks for the info,

Any ideas of speed/fuel at a more sedate pace of 24-2500rpm

Thanks in advance

I run a Catto 3 blade on my hi-compression (~190 hp) O-360 and usually fly in the 2400 - 2500 rpm range @ 2500 to 3500 msl. I see 150 to 160 knots at a fuel burn under 9 gals / hour. Craig's 3 blade props are smooth. I worked with Craig back in 2002 to get his 3 blade on the RV-8. This is my 3rd 3 blade...the first one was a test, I broke the second one (my error, not Craig's) and the 3rd one has been on my plane for 7 years!

As has been said - the simplicity of fixed pitch makes the decision easier.

55% power

I normally cruise at 55% power which is around 2350 rpm, gives about 165 mph and fuel burn of about 6.8 gph which equates to a 1000 mile range. Pretty efficient settings for me and is very smooth at those settings.

I was gonna post my figures and experience, but Smokey beat me to it! :cool:

It's a GREAT combo...

JRV,

For the cost, return, performance and simplicity, Craig's props are a win-win in my book.

Smokey

Chad J's former RV-7 now in S. Africa

My current RV-X with New Catto 2 blade, nickel leading edges.

Smokey,

So how does your new 2-blade compare? Could you give us some thoughts about your experience with it, compared to the 3-blade? Why did you choose to go with it, for example?

RV-4 with blade Catto

Hi All
My on the last trip from CXP to Burning Man the MPG was
10500" alt
136kts IAS 163TAS
2500 rpm's
7.5 GPH
about 24.9 kmpg 28.6mpg
most of the time I am running 22-24 kmpg or 25.3 to 27.6mpg
O320,2 p-mags

Back