What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 brakes oveheating

colin

I'm New Here
I'm having problems with my new Clevaland brakes dragging after landing. It's difficult to hand push the plane until the brakes cool a bit. The simple answer is to not use the brakes but it doesn't seem to takes much application to run into the problem. My guess is that the pistions in the brakes are hot enough that they are not retracting. I have dissabled them and put antiseze on the moving pad . The plane has low hours. I have full wheel pants. Anyone else had issues ?

First WAG

The first thing I would check is to see if the master cylinders at the rudder pedals are FULLY retracting when you release the brakes. Doesn't take much to "trap" fluid.

Do a search, and you will find many postings about how to get the master cyls to retract, including spring assist.

I'm having problems with my new Clevaland brakes dragging after landing. It's difficult to hand push the plane until the brakes cool a bit. The simple answer is to not use the brakes but it doesn't seem to takes much application to run into the problem. My guess is that the pistions in the brakes are hot enough that they are not retracting. I have dissabled them and put antiseze on the moving pad . The plane has low hours. I have full wheel pants. Anyone else had issues ?

1) see this thread
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22130&highlight=brake+spring+collar

2) Replace the four pedal pivot bolts with two AN3-56's
see thread (Scroll to post #9) http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=24049&highlight=brake+spring+collar

3) Bleed the brakes again... then again. If you have dual brakes it can be hard to get all the air out of the system.

Last edited:
When I mounted my wheel pants, they were pushing on the caliper, I had to trim out an area where the caliper was hitting to keep the brakes from rubbing on the disc all the time. The cutout I made was under the fairing piece so it is not seen.
Might be worth looking at.
Caliper guide pins frozen in place will also cause rubbing and overheat the brakes.

Back