What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 and RV-9A same tail?

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I'm still in the planning/collecting tools/getting the shop ready, BUT! I also cruise the classified looking for possible stuff. Seeing there is -9 tailkit for sale, it got me thinking.
I thought i read somewhere, that the 9 & 7 used the same tail. I'm not sure I want to buy someone else's unfinished kit, but could I use someone else's -9 tail(I'm going for a -7).

the rv-7 and -8 share a lot in common on the tail. The RV-7 uses the RUDDER from the rv-9.

I believe the Rv-8/-7 VS are the same.
rv-8/7 HS are almost the same.
I THINK the -8 and -7 elevators are identical.
I THINK the -8 and -7 rudders WERE identical until Vans changed the -7 rudder to a -9 rudder for better spin recovery.

I don't think the -9 and -7 share much else in common in the tail, although I heard that the -9 and -7 fuselage are VERY similar (as are the -7 and -8 wings).

Someone correct me here, please :)

The horizontal stab and elevators are completely different. Most of the vertical stab is the same, and the rudders are similar but still different.

I'm working on my RV-9 fuse and have yet to find a part outside of the center-section that's different.

well ok then. No go on the tail swap.

I wanted to build the tail myself anyway, but am also always looking to save significant money

Back