What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 320 to 360

Garrett3374

Engine Options with Standard Cowling..

I am fixing to start my RV7 project and have been curious about a few things.. If I decide to begin with an 0-320 160hp, and then several years down the road maybe upgrade to the 0-360, Is there going to be any Cowling mods for the new engine. I would imagine a new engine mount would be neccessary.

I am currently reviewing the preview plans getting ready to order the tail kit.

Thanks Guys....

There is a width issue as the exhaust cross over in my O320 had to be shortened and not in my O360 instalation. However, the O320 was a narrow deck and that may have been the difference.

There is a width issue as the exhaust cross over in my O320 had to be shortened and not in my O360 instalation. However, the O320 was a narrow deck and that may have been the difference.

So basically there was no Cowling mod that was done then?

I thought the cowling was the same except for the snorkel for the 0-360 being bigger so you would have to cut off the O-320 snorkel and put a bigger snorkel on for the 0-360?

Any reason why you wouldn't start with a 360? If cost is a problem, you dont have to start with a "new" motor. Consider getting the 360 from the start, it will save a lot of agro in the future
Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Any reason why you wouldn't start with a 360? If cost is a problem, you dont have to start with a "new" motor. Consider getting the 360 from the start, it will save a lot of agro in the future
Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Already have a 320 available..... And yes Cost is the main factor...

I can get flying alot faster using the 320, then save money over the years and then upgrade if I decide...

I knew somebody would reply with this scenerio.. HAHA>..

Garrett,

You have a couple of options. There are two engine mounts for the -7, a longer one for the smaller engine w/ wood prop and a shorter one for the larger engines.

Check with Van's and see what they recommend. If you go with the shorter mount and cowl, then you can add weight to make the W&B work out until you install the larger engine. However, if you go with the longer mount and cowl, you will have to change everything FWF.

BTW, I spoke to a few different pilots who have had the opportunity to fly many different RV's about what an RV-8 with an O-320 flies like and they were very impressed. They said it was much lighter on the controls and felt close to an RV-4. For the smaller engine, the builders had to give up a lot of bells and whistles and keep the interior and panel very spartan. Even then, it wouldn't climb with a 180 HP RV, but then a 180 HP RV won't climb with a 200 HP RV. Check Van's numbers, is a 160 hp RV really suffering in the climb department? Not really.

As someone who installed a 135 hp engine in his -9, I found that when flying with a group of other RV's, I would take off first and when we would get to a destination 150 miles away, I would enter the pattern just as the last of the "big engine" RV's were rolling out on the runway.

Your decision should be based on your ultimate intent. If you intend to keep the plane your desision for the O320 will not dissapoint you. An O360 will bring a higher resale. What ever decsion get an engine with an ability to convert to constant speed prop. You will not be unhappy with a fixed pitch prop though.

I can offer a real view...not on having both, but on having an O320 engine mount, and putting an O360 on it. If you use the Van's cowl, Tom is right, you will have to cut off the snorkel for the 320, and graft on the one from a 360. If you use a James cowl (like I did), you will have to have it custom made for the longer engine mount. No extra cost monetarily, but there is more fiberglass finishing work to be done to cover up the cowl extension...which I haven't done yet.

So if you start with a 320, then switch, there will be plenty of mods to do...:)

I can offer a real view...not on having both, but on having an O320 engine mount, and putting an O360 on it. If you use the Van's cowl, Tom is right, you will have to cut off the snorkel for the 320, and graft on the one from a 360. If you use a James cowl (like I did), you will have to have it custom made for the longer engine mount. No extra cost monetarily, but there is more fiberglass finishing work to be done to cover up the cowl extension...which I haven't done yet.

So if you start with a 320, then switch, there will be plenty of mods to do...:)

Thanks, That about what I figured. How did you like the performance of your RV with the 320 package?

When I got my preview plans in the mail, I was pretty overwhelmed. Sure is alot of information. The more I have read through them though, the more excited I get. THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN!!

An 320 is all you really need and you can work with the 320 to perform as good and even better than a 360 if you choose for a lot less money. I have a 320... well it was a 320, and the 360.... 200 hp engine plane fly side by side with me at alt. Oh, but I do burn a lot less fuel. :D

I don't have the CHT temp issues, fly a Catto Three Blade... it's GREAT!!!

Last edited:
Thats what I like to hear Reiley!!!

Oh and I just noticed your other thread Chad... I guess your not airborne yet...btw.. Great looking plane!!! Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

Best of all...

the 320 engine mount is 2 1/2" longer, the cowl is sleek and narrow, the W/B is easy, and you have with most 320's a bullet proof engine that will run cool. Van designed the bird around a 320... listen to him. :)

Thats what I like to hear Reiley!!!

Oh and I just noticed your other thread Chad... I guess your not airborne yet...btw.. Great looking plane!!! Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

Not yet, but close! I have a couple of schemes in mind, but I'll be flying unpainted for a while...paint isn't in the budget right now...

I don't know the first thing about RV cowls at this stage I am in the very early stages of planning a Rocket and hope to be ready for the next release.

Could you not just modify, eg stroke or bore the 320, when the first overhaul is due, to get more cubes? I don't know the first thing about aircraft engine rebuilding, but 10ci per cylinder doesn't sound like it would be particularly difficult.

Could you not just modify, eg stroke or bore the 320, when the first overhaul is due, to get more cubes? I don't know the first thing about aircraft engine rebuilding, but 10ci per cylinder doesn't sound like it would be particularly difficult.
Yes, it's called a 340 and here's the link to the parts. I don't know if you would want to use this with a "narrow" deck 320 or not.

I found that when flying with a group of other RV's, I would take off first and when we would get to a destination 150 miles away, I would enter the pattern just as the last of the "big engine" RV's were rolling out on the runway.

We do the same thing, with the same destination distance. The two Cubs with Tundra tires leave about an hour early. We all land within five minutes of each other. Little engines are still workable, if you time it right.. :)

P.S. Just read the June issue of "Kit Planes" over the weekend... at the lake. The reference to the C/S prop made my day! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back