What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 303P Levitates!

Jim P

Well Known Member
Mid-Morning on June 7, slow-build RV-7 303P finally levitated off the ground, 4 days short of 6 years, and 14000 rivets since the empennage kit arrival. This first flight was conducted under 1800 broken/ overcast sky at Arlington, WA (AWO). The weather has been exceptionally cruddy recently so I was looking for enough airspace to go out and run circuits around the pattern to get the engine exercised. Dave Parsons (RV-7A) was standing-by on ground crew this week after we called off the flight last weekend due to low clouds. The RV cranked on the 2nd try (I really need to figure out the best way to start this)and I proceeded to the Three-Four hammerhead for run-up. All systems looked good an I started the data recorder for flight #1. There was a Cessna 140 in the pattern, but aside from that, I had the area to myself which was good. The plan was to remain in a high pattern and just make a couple laps to test the engine systems, slow down, come down to pattern altitude, make one low approach, go-around, then a final full-stop.

I took Runway 34 and slowly advanced the throttle. In what seemed about 100 feet, the RV levitated off the ground. I don’t recall having enough time to actually raise the tail and the departure angle seemed ridiculously steep. It really didn’t’ take long and I was at about 1700’ by crosswind and I just let it accelerate. The GRT was only seeing about 1800 RPM but the engine sure seemed to be doing it’s thing so I figured I had an indication problem. I raced around the circuit several times, then pulled the power back a bit to start a decent into the pattern. At that time I started hearing a faint thumping on the fuselage and I wondered what that was. I did see 197 MPH on one downwind, full throttle with no gear fairings or wheel pants, so I’m thinking this airplane is going to match Van’s numbers. Very cool.

Well I managed to get the airplane slowed down and extended the flaps 50% per Mike Seager’s training. So far no problem but on base leg, that thumping was more pronounced and I decided to put it on the ground. Full flaps, 85 MPH, and I had the runway made. Taxi back was a non-event and I shut it down. Total time was .5, just right for the first flight. Time for breakfast at the local airport café, as well as some well-needed time to relax.

On inspection, I found that the left rubber wing root seal had pulled free a bit (it was too long) on the bottom aft end, and was thumping in the wind stream so it was a good decision to cut it short. Dave and I pulled the cowl and found about two drops of oil in the bottom of the cowl which was attributed to a slightly loose #3 cylinder head oil return line at the case. This was tightened. As for the RPM, I dug through the GRT EIS manual and determined that the RPM config setting was incorrect. It was 0 and should have been a 1. I also lowered the idle RPM slightly as I thought it was a bit high (this has a knock-on effect). OK, that’s fixed. I cut the wing root seal a bit and got that reinstalled.

Dave had to head for home, but there was time for one more flight. Plan was basically the same but I wanted to validate the RPM fix. Once the engine started, it was evident that the RPM indication was fixed. Taxi and run-up were normal and it was time to fly again. Departure once again was a blast. With ½ tanks and no passenger, this really climbs. I spent about .5 running round the pattern again, this time at 2400’ as the ceiling had come up a bit. This time I had some time to relax and just watch the airplane and It really seems to fly nice. I thought the right wing was a little heavy, but it trimmed out with the ailerons still in line with the wing tips. I did get back down to pattern altitude and with a nice little cross wind on 34, about 7 kts or so, made a decent 3-point landing. Remember the bit about adjusting the idle? Well, on rollout, things got quiet, really quiet. And by the time my brain figured out the engine was winding down, it had quit, and I just missed the first turn-off. Bummer. Well, I shut down the avionics (which dumped my flight 2 data) and pushed it off the runway where we finally got it restarted. A couple RV guys from AWO helped get it going again.

Post flight inspection showed no oil leakage at all this time so I was pretty happy. We did pull the cowl and re-set the idle with the proper instrument indications. Other than the RPM indication and the left wing fairing seal, the flight went really well and I’m happy with the airplane. If the weather holds, I’m back up tomorrow. This is soooooo cool (and so worth it)!

Here's the video, not great, but get's the point across. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmQvlAcyGQ Since I can build an airplane, maybe one day I can figure out how to add music to the videos.

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Side note: Russ “Erbman” Erb, good friend and fellow founding cohort of EAA Chapter 1000 at Edwards AFB, CA, spent the last 11+ years building a very nice looking plans-built Bearhawk (http://eaa1000.av.org/pix/erbpix/erbpix.htm) . As luck would have it, we both had DAR inspections on the same date and as if it weren’t possible, both of our projects had first flights on the same day! Congrats Russ![/FONT]

Last edited:
198 mph!

Wow, 198 mph without gear leg and fairings Wow! :) THAT'S COOL!
Six years? that's probably my time frame. Hope to meet you one day.
Love your web site! CONGRATULATIONS!

RE:Congrats

Jim

What a ride.....Fantastic..........Congrats on this great accomplishment!!!:cool:

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A...969 details left

Grin

I know you are somewhat worried that the grin will be permanent............uh, almost;)

Great job, congrats.

Congratulations!

Way to go! I had looked at your web site and figured you were about ready to go. I figure I will see you over here at Crest soon enough. That's probably within bounds for your flight test area ;) I will be looking for you sometime in the near future... if it ever stops raining. Hey it's Seattle!

Back