What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Wings

artrose

Will a new, partially completed wing from an early 90's 6 kit work on a early 2000's kit? I'm looking at the possibility of replacing my damage wing rather than attempt repair of the old one.

Will a new, partially completed wing from an early 90's 6 kit work on a early 2000's kit? I'm looking at the possibility of replacing my damage wing rather than attempt repair of the old one.

You may have trouble at the center section since the spars were match drilled to the bulkheads.

If both wings have Pholgiston (gold anodized) spars your chances would be much better.

A -6A wings has a few of the 3/16 holes drilled out to 1/4 for the gear leg mounts so that might also make a difference.

RV6 and RV4 Wings

I had been told that both the RV-4 and the RV-6 use the same wings....can anyone confirm that they are interchangable?

Since the mid 90's Phlogiston has been using tooling to drill RV-4/6 spars. Those spars can be mated to a different center section. Over the summer I had Phlogiston make me a center section to build a new fuselage for my -6 that was SNF tornado damaged.

Just to add to Scott's post...

The fuselages are different widths, thereby making the inboard end of the spars different lengths. The flaps and ailerons are different lengths, etc.

Oh; The ribs and wingtips are interchangeable!

Since the mid 90's Phlogiston has been using tooling to drill RV-4/6 spars. Those spars can be mated to a different center section. Over the summer I had Phlogiston make me a center section to build a new fuselage for my -6 that was SNF tornado damaged.

Asking for any further information re: post quoted.
I have an older(1991) RV-6A, wings with Phlogiston spars, but the fuel tanks were sloshed, leaking, and pretty much not worth much. I have a new set of wings, also with Phlogiston spars (circa 2005 build) with good tanks (would re-test). Now, unfortunately the two spar dates overlap the mid 90s date in the quote.

So 2 options are:

-Build new tanks, and then match drill to old wings

-Change old wings & tanks out for new wings and tanks

Has anyone ever sucessfully done the later?

GH

From the experienced out there, what are time estimates for:
- Remove RV-6A wings?
- Install RV-6A wings?

Thanks,
GH

From the experienced out there, what are time estimates for:
- Remove RV-6A wings?
- Install RV-6A wings?

Two days & two days.

Could possibly be done quicker, but it isn't fun. Many bolts & nuts are somewhat hard to get to, because of the triangular gear mounts.

Back