What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Warbird Replica--Squadron 112 RAF

DadAndAirplane

DSC_8660.jpg

Michael Lewis Moore of Round Rock, Texas, and hangaring in Georgetown, Texas (GTU.) The pictures were taken by my son Erik Moore of Austin, Texas.

http://picasaweb.google.com/esmoore68/DadAndAirplane?feat=directlink

I purchased this aircraft in 2007 and researched the paint scheme to discover that the RAF Squadron 112 in the North African Theater in WW2 was the first allied bunch to use the Shark's mouth paint scheme and it was a Flying Tiger mechanic that saw it and took the idea to Burma where it became famous. The roundell on this airplane is one used on the camo painted airplanes, so this paint job has a historical significance. N2EP has steam guages except for the engine moniter, but it is loaded on the dash with a full IFR capability, XM weather on a G496 and a strikefinder.

Mike Moore
RV-6A N2EP
Round Rock, Texas

Last edited by a moderator:
been on the fence

I've been on the fence about buying a Nikon... may have just pushed me over.

Such a nice airplane with an accurate paint scheme. Thanks for the history lesson too. Your son is obviously a professional photographer.....the pictures are excellent!!!!!

I Wish I Didn't See Your Post!!!

DadAndAirplane

I purchased this aircraft in 2007 and researched the paint scheme to discover that the RAF Squadron 112 in the North African Theater in WW2 was the first allied bunch to use the Shark's mouth paint scheme and it was a Flying Tiger mechanic that saw it and took the idea to Burma where it became famous.

Mike Moore
RV-6A N2EP
Round Rock, Texas

Mike,

Darn, darn, darn! Just when I was finally getting it out of my system?to own a RV8 painted in the Flying Tigers P-40 paint scheme?I had to look at your beautifully painted aircraft with the Shark?s mouth. You see, I purchased a beautifully painted, already completed RV8?it was just on my wish list that if I had built a RV8, the P-40 paint scheme (including modifying the canopy to reflect the P-40 canopy style), would have been my choice.

?.Let?s see, where did I put that can of paint remover?

Regards,

Welcome, Mike...

...I think that we ought to start a thread with all military paint jobs on RV's only, with the history.

This is my buddy Brian Hanson's RV-4 with the 308th Fighter Group in Mondolfo, Italy, 1944 paint schemes for the P-51's.
Brian1.jpg

Regards,

Back