What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Replacement Tires and Tubes

bits

Can anyone recommend a replacement brand/model/size for my original RV-6A (Vans) tires? Should I replace the tubes as well as the tires? If so, can anyone recommend a good replacement tube?

Can anyone recommend a replacement brand/model/size for my original RV-6A (Vans) tires? Should I replace the tubes as well as the tires? If so, can anyone recommend a good replacement tube?

Welcome to VAF, Jack.

You have asked a question that has about as many answers as respondents. This is the same as asking someone what kind of tires you should put on your car. :)

The mains are 5.00x5 and the nosegear is a weird size that is probably best purchased from Vans. But many of us have bought replacements for the mains and tubes from Desser:

http://www.desser.com

The tube questions are a little easier, two popular choices are Michelin Airstop and Desser's house brand of airstop tubes. Either choice will hold air much longer than the standard natural rubber aircraft tubes. Some RVers change tubes each time they change tires....I don't but that is a personal preference. I strongly recommend you buy a spare nosewheel tube to carry in your plane, it is not commonly available in the location where the nosewheel will unexpectedly go flat. ;)

If you do a search on this subject in the VAF archives you will find a ton of info on folk's opinions of particular tires. So pour yourself a cup of your favorite beverage, hit the Search button, and start your RV tire education.

Enjoy your new plane!

Last edited:
Another big welcome the the VAF forums!

Definitely buy the Airstop or Leakguard inner tubes. They practically eliminate the hassle of having to repeatedly add air to your tires like with old school legacy inner tubes.

As to tires, like Sam says, there are as many opinions on tires as there are brands and models to choose from... from cheap ones that work well and last a long time, to expensive ones that work well and last a long time.

When I bought my RV-6 last spring, it came from the builder/prior owner with a set of fairly new Goodyear Flight Custom III tires, and they've proven to be fantastic quality tires, probably the best on the market, but man they're breathtakingly expensive.

When the day comes that I wear them out and need new ones, I'll probably buy a set of stock Aero Classics and then send in my FC-III cores to Desser to get retreaded if the cores are still good.

BTW, Desser outright sells retreads that are made upon Goodyear cores too.

Welcome Jack!

I was in your shoes couple weeks ago. Spent sometime reading archives and bought these for mains. :D

3-1.jpg

Replaced tubes also. Old ones didn't leak but have all kinds of wrinkles, scratches and folds.

2-1.jpg

Went on grass today and checked. Airplane lands by itself. Go Michelin!!! :D

1-1.jpg

Now I know what "square tire" looks like !

All of the above is good advice. I just picked up a new pair of Desser tyres and tubes.

tires

A few years ago i had a Ted Smith Aerostar and I installed a set of michelins got only 150 landings out of them got over 400 with Goodyear flight custom 111's just saying I wasnt happy so i changed my brand on my car also.
Bob

Back