What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A nose wheel fairing

ltn6a

A quick question

RV6A DWG C1 for the installation of the nose wheel fairing shows the aft fairing section aft attachment brackets riveted to the fairing .So if i am reading it right you have to remove the nose wheel axel bolt to remove the fairing.Am i seeing this right and has any one replaced the rivets that attach the bracket to the fairing with nut plates so you can remove the fairing and keep the nose wheel in place.
any thoughts please.

Thanks

Mark

Put the nutplates on the brackets and you won't have to remove the axle to get the rear wheel pant off.

Ditto! The brackets stay with the axle bolt and are marked left/right. I made a small notch on the bracket and nose fork to align the bracket to the correct orientation. I believe that I'm on my fourth set of brackets, and the latest set is made of (I think) 0.063" aluminum :) Rosie

Are the newer -7A/-9A brackets usable on the 6A? If so, I would go that route. You can remove the wheelpant without removing the axle. You just remove the two hex lugs (where the tow bar attaches) and the rear pant slides right off.

Yes! Ditch those old style brackets and get the newer parts! The whole bracket (L & R) is riveted to the pant. The axle gets a couple of washers on each side to sandwich the bracket so the whole pant just slips on and then is held with a couple of hefty allen screws to the nose wheel fork. Do yourself another favor and get the bogert extensions for the screws so you can easily attach a towbar without hurting either the pant or risking slipping off. My newer style bracket came with the finishing kit for my -6A; after seeing it, AZTAILWIND switched his existing setup.

Simple Mod

I mounted two "gull wing" brackets on each side of the nose wheel fork with platenuts on the "wings" the aft part of the fairing is mounted with eight dimple washers and #8 flathead screws. The fwd part of the cap is mounted with the attachment hardware connecting the two halves of the fairing. I did this on the original build and I do not have "tow bar holes" in the side. Somethings are just too obviously unacceptable to ignore. Over 600 flight hours with no problem using this assembly method.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Thanks

Hi All

Thanks for the feed back.Not sure if the 7A/9A brackets will fit i will have to look into that but nutplates is what i will fit

Mark

6A wheel pant brackets

Just got the new 7A type in the mail yesterday and will install them this week hopefully. Be sure to order the special washers shown on the plans for the nosewheel fork modification also.

Back