What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Nose Gear Update

Jgibson

Would a 1999 RV6A kit have the 'newer/approved' nose gear? What exactly is the difference in the 'new' vs. 'old'. Looking at purchasing partially completed kit and deciding on whether to finish it as an 'A' (as originally purchased) or to convert to tailwheel. I do a fair amount of grass strip flying. If the kit has the 'older' 'unapproved' nose gear, what would the cost/problem be to upgrade it. Thanks in advance from a future RV'er.

Maybe, maybe not

See the service bulletin here for detailed info. http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb07-11-9.pdf
I had to replace both pieces, match drill, and replace leg farings, both upper and lower. (1995 completion date) Total cost was about $300. Your cost would simply be the replacement of the fork and leg, unless they have been mounted already. If mounted you would need to have it match drilled. I think I remember the cost of the two parts alone would cost under $100, but check Vans online parts list for exact prices. Hope this helps.

Dennis
RV6, RV6, RV6A (current)
What can I say...I like RVs

Thanks for info

Good info. Thanks a bunch. Because this nose gear has never been installed, and emp never mounted, I'm considering converting to the tailwheel and biting the bullet for almost $2,000 if I purchase this project. But the nose gear mod doesn't seem to be that big a deal, and quite a bit cheaper. I found all the PDF info from Vans that explains the issues and fixes pretty clearly.

You should research the incidents of A models tipping over on unimproved runways. While some seem to do fine on such surfaces, others have encountered conditions that ended up poorly.

Personally, I avoid unimproved strips in my 6A. I have the nose gear mods.

RV-6A nose gear update

Here we go again. POOH,POOH, the RV-6A operates just as well off grass strips as other nose wheel aircraft. Just stay off the nose wheel when landing, and keep back pressure on the stick while rolling out, as you should do with any nose wheel aircraft when landing on grass. This does not mean the 6A is a bush plane by any means, but a fairly well groomed grass strip should be no concern. Why do we, especially RV folks, continue to promote this myth. Bob.

roger that. i spend as much time in the grass as i like. no problem. seconded. From Rosie: Thirded

Last edited by a moderator:
RV6A nose gear NOTE;;

HIGHLY suggest install frnt. nose gear leg to mount with a tapper pin instead of the close tolerance bolt. You get a possitive lock of the leg to the mount with 0-movement to start to beat itself loose, then you have to redrill with the next size close tol. bolt. Taper pin is the only way to go for this kind of attatchment. DAVID R. COOK RV6A ROTARY

Here we go again. POOH,POOH, the RV-6A operates just as well off grass strips as other nose wheel aircraft. Just stay off the nose wheel when landing, and keep back pressure on the stick while rolling out, as you should do with any nose wheel aircraft when landing on grass. This does not mean the 6A is a bush plane by any means, but a fairly well groomed grass strip should be no concern. Why do we, especially RV folks, continue to promote this myth. Bob.

That's it... Imagine landing a 747 on the nose wheel...

Back