What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Nose gear fairing

PVS

Could anybody assist me in acquiring a nose gear fairing for a rv6a. Any info how to install. Thanks

Nose gear fairing

I would call Van's and buy the required parts including hardware and instructions. The fairing fastens with piano hinge riveted/bonded to the trailing edge, and a hose clamp on lower portion just above the wheel pant. I have a spare fairing left over from my 7A because I installed an Anti Splat nose gear brace which requires a slightly larger size. I would be willing to sell it, however you would need hardware and instructions from Van's, and the addition freight would negate any savings.

On a related topic, now would be a good time to consider whether you would like an Anti-Splat nose brace. The product is well constructed and installed easily. I don't know if it works, since I have not had any significant nose wheel impacts in my first 100 hours of flight. (knock on wood)

Jay

FYI: I also have the hose clamp, but I attached two "T" shape pieces of aluminum, upside down, on either side of the fairing at the top of the fairing so the hose clamp is not visible. I used a couple of pieces of (I recall) water hose along the gear leg to provide some spacing (friction) for the piano hinge to pull the fairing tight on the gear leg :D Rosie

Alternative method

Here's an easy alternative to the piano hinge method. Make a dam of flox and epoxy resin inside the trailing edge of the fairing by clear taping one side and then filling with the epoxy mixture. This will form a flat surface that mates to the opposite side of the fairing. Then use double sided tape to attach and close the fairing at the rear. Much cleaner and if you must remove the fairing all you do is cut through the tape and redo after inspections. Piano hinges are a pain.
To attach the fairing at the nose wheel end I simply wrap several layers of white electrical tape to make the attachment. Nicer to look at and eliminates the hose clamp.

Last edited:
Per suggestion I watched the video referencing the anti splat device. Certainly makes sense. Any comments pro or con regarding the benefits and use of this device. Thank you

There is a lot of discussion, pro and con in this website. I read it all (well almost all) and decided to buy it since they now have a version which fits inside the fairings supplied by Vans. I am still building, so no direct flight experience. I also buy fire and life insurance which I hope not to use.

Last edited:
Nose gear fairing

PVS....did you find a fairing? I have one that I removed from my rv6a after I did the antisplat mod. Mine has the hinge installed and wasn't big enough after the mod was done.

Back