What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Max Baggage Weight

And ...

Don't forget the gross weight although in an RV-6A this may be an arbitrary number picked by the builder. I don't get close to 100 lbs with clothes for a week or two of travel. Sometimes you may decide to wash in route.

Bob Axsom

There is a discrepancy

between the Vans Aircraft and the manual, the website says 75 lbs, the manual 100.

Hans

Mel is right, it depends on the CG

I am comfortable with 100 lbs in the baggage compartment...IF it meets the CG. Unfortunately I can't get their. The worst case for calculating aft CG is with low fuel. I always figure on a minimum of 1/4 tanks. My plane is light up front with an o-360, light wt starter, light wt alternator, wood prop, no gov, no vacuum pump. Aft CG is always a concern.

Example 1: With 1/4 fuel, my wife and I are limited to 55 lbs and are well below the 1700 lb gross.

Example 2: With 1/4 fuel, my son and I on our trip to OSH was able to pack in 98 lbs, but only 65 in the baggage compartment. The rest was, 13 lbs strapped to floor between rudder pedals, 13 lb bag forward of spar under my son's legs and my 7 lb flight bag forward of spar under my legs. Still way under the gross and within CG.

If you have a CS prop, it will help the CG a lot.

This really depends...

What is the max weight can you safely carry in the baggage compartment

...on who is doing the flying. I can't publish on here what I can safely carry....you'd be amazed.

A good example is Jon Johannson from Oz....he puts 50 gallons of avgas/300 lbs, in the back seat of his -4.....and then blasts off at 11:00 p.m. across the Pacific, at night, heading for L.A.:eek:

Best,

What is the max weight can you safely carry in the baggage compartment

...on who is doing the flying. I can't publish on here what I can safely carry....you'd be amazed.

What you can safely carry and what is legal to carry can be different number. Know the difference. The POH should have the max baggage allowed. This plus a weight and balance will dictate what is legal to carry.

RED Flag!

What you can safely carry and what is legal to carry can be different number. Know the difference. The POH should have the max baggage allowed. This plus a weight and balance will dictate what is legal to carry.

There may be an illegal but safe total weight. However be very careful with the balance part of the equation. An aft C/G can be very unsafe!

Thanks for the feed back looking to purchase a 6a 7a or 9a in the future trying to weight all the options and price ranges

Back